Winchester 1885 Falling Block

Muddyboots

OK, just can't get the falling block out of my blood and keep looking at the 1885 especially in 6.5PRC. I have heard they are a bit easier to tune than No. 1's which I have had and drove me batty until I did all the fixes. But this is so dang elegant and wonder if they can be a mid range rifle out to 500-600 or even farther?

Anyone have a 1885 in any center-fire caliber and how does it shoot? Issues?

OK, just can't get the falling block out of my blood and keep looking at the 1885 especially in 6.5PRC. I have heard they are a bit easier to tune than No. 1's which I have had and drove me batty until I did all the fixes. But this is so dang elegant and wonder if they can be a mid range rifle out to 500-600 or even farther?

Anyone have a 1885 in any center-fire caliber and how does it shoot? Issues?
Ive had a couple B78's and they make an excellent long range rifle if properly set up. I ran a .250" diameter shank and a modified taper Palma barrel to fit in the fore end. It was a 28" barrel that crowned at 750" and you could still use it as a carry rifle but was good well past 1000 yards. I pillar bedded The tang too. It shot lights out.

I know the feeling of falling blocks in the blood.. no experience with a 1885 in modern smokeless, sounds way fun! My bpcr partner shoots one very accurately out to 1000 in 45-100 with black powder and a 565gr grease groove bullet. Awesome guns!

The 1885 is a Very Special Rifle to be sure ,a good Friend owns one in a 270 WSM ,28 inch octagon Barrel 1/10 twist ,another friend did a trigger job ,and I reloaded for it ,what a Fantastic rifle , the wood was plain being a Winchester,but it made up for it in it shooting if you Catch my drift , the Brownings have better wood if that's your thing but oh what Great Rifles ,get your Self one and enjoy ,& I should take my Own advice ,LOL,cheers !!!

,,,,,,,OK, just can't get the falling block out of my blood and keep looking at the 1885 especially in 6.5PRC. I have heard they are a bit easier to tune than No. 1's which I have had and drove me batty until I did all the fixes.,,,,,,

Never had one, but always glad to some one break away from the pack. Best Wishes!

The late Brownings are IME better than the current Winchesters.

This is my RMEF 300 H&H that is a 3/4 moa rifle outta the box.

Paid $500 more, NIB, @ auction, than the Winchesters.

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2511 (1).jpg

Stiltsville, OMG, WHY did you post up those pics!o_O NOW I have to look at them now too. This is not going to end well for my budget.

The High End Hunter from Winchester is really nice but those Brownings...the wood grain is gorgeous!
1885 High Wall Hunter High Grade

I made a set of oak cross sticks years ago for my caplock Hawkens to be more "traditional" using it and I can see using them with this rifle too. DANG, I am already accessorizing and haven't even run the purchase past my home CEO yet. Haha, another eye roller for sure from CEO and LRH for sure!

The caliber is going to be a real trip wire for sure.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.