Win supreme 780

tailbon3

I often see Winchester Supreme 780 at or near the top of the velocity charts for many calibers but I never see anyone suggest using it. Is that just my perception or are there reasons it isn't used much?

Winchester in the past offered one or two other powders similar to it which were discontinued after a few years. Perhaps that's the reason Winchester 780 hasn't taken off yet. I have a pound of it which I'll try some day. It's probably a pretty good powder.

I bought 8 lbs for a project but it was not slow enough. Have tried it in a few other things and it has worked well. Seems good to me. Like any ball powder it is very nice to work with. Also like other ball powders probably not as temp stable. I have not tested it to say I have personal experience that way. I will have to find a good use for it since I have so much.

Steve

Personally, it appears to be exactly the same as 785 and all the other designations it's been given over the years in a few rifles I've tried it in, namely the 25-06, 264WM and 300WM.
I like it, but it's availability hasn't been great here, neither have any of the Winchester powders. I use 296, 748, 760 and 780 regularly, but haven't seen much of the last 3 for some time here.
Oh well, when it's available again I will buy quite a bit.

Cheers.
gun)

760/H414/AA2700, are all the identical powder with different labels. H335 & Bl-c(2) are also the same recipe, the only distinction comes from the "as-built" side, one is SLIGHTLY lower in CaCO as an acid neutralizer. Other than the Tin/bizmouth copper cleaners, I'm not convinced 748 is any different than those two; it certainly came from the family in the first place.... You didn't really think Hodgdon invented copper cleaners, or that CFE was the first one did you?

You know, of course, that Winchester 296 and 760 are the same as H110 and H414 respectively don't you?

Yep, totally aware of those facts, but we do not get Hodgdon powders here in Australia, even though we MAKE the powders here for Hodgdon.

:D

Not all Hodgdon powders are made in Australia, Ball/spherical powders are made in the U.S.

Yep, totally aware of those facts, but we do not get Hodgdon powders here in Australia, even though we MAKE the powders here for Hodgdon.

:D

The extreme series extruded come from Thales, out of the ADI plant in Australia. The Non-Extreme extruded comes from General Dynamics in the former IMR plant in Quebec. The ball powders come from General Dynamics, in the only private American plant; formerly the Olin plant in Florida.

<Sheepish grimace> yes, I.. uh did...

The Tin/Bismuth compounds that were found to tie-up copper fouling, were discovered by the French, around 1900. Albeit in different amounts, they have been in 748 & 760 for SEVERAL decades, if not since their inception. What we know as CFE223, is actually more than a decade old now. Just finally made it to the waste market/ reloading community.

Cheers

Personally, it appears to be exactly the same as 785 and all the other designations it's been given over the years in a few rifles I've tried it in, namely the 25-06, 264WM and 300WM.
I like it, but it's availability hasn't been great here, neither have any of the Winchester powders. I use 296, 748, 760 and 780 regularly, but haven't seen much of the last 3 for some time here.
Oh well, when it's available again I will buy quite a bit.

Cheers.
gun)
Do you have any to spare?

Recent Posts