Win Model 70 or Rem Model 7 7mm-08

I own both as well. Older Remingtons are just flat better. Model 70 is a hard one to pass up. Trigger on the Model 70 is just great out of the box. I had one of those bad Remington CDF triggers that would go bang when the safety was flipped to the fire position. After market options has more offerings for the Remington versus Winchester.

Perhaps you could reach out to your gunsmith on which model he prefers to work on, since that 7mm08 is going to spoil you for years to come and your going to want a new barrel at some point.

I have 4 of the M70 Extreme Weather rifles in various calibers and every **** one of them shoots well under MOA consistently with handloads. Wasn't an arduous task finding a load for any of them either. I'm very skeptical about the rifles that are coming out of the "Big Green" factories right now.....
I agree...It is sad when the oldest manufacturer in the US has the quality issue Remington has seen in the last 10 years. I hope they come out of THIS bankruptcy sale stronger. That will only keep the industry healthy and the offerings from all manufactures pure quality for years to come.
Happy chuten

I currently own 5 Model 70 Winchesters and only one Model 7 Remington, So I think you could guess witch one I one get. My Model 7 is in 260 Rem and I had a Hart barrel added to replace the thin factory barrel. It shoots great with the Hart barrel, but I love the Winchester for the way they feel and come to shoulder. I also like the three position safety the claw extractor and the smooth action. If I were to get into and accuracy contest the Model 7 probably would win, but for a hunting rifle I would take my Winchester in 270 Win, 308 Win, 6.5 CM, 270WSM or 30-06 over the Rem.

My load for 7mm-08 is Varget, 131gr Hammer Hunter, CCI BR-2, Lapua. I get 2,970 fps from a lightweight 22" barrel. Great cartridge. I agree it's also capable of elk with the right bullet and range.

I bought one of the limited 70 7x57 super grade featherweights. Pencil barrel and it was a 2 1/2 inch gun. Squared it and put on a lilja 3 weight and chopped it at 23 inches. Bedded and now it is a drill. I know this is off thread but I had to add it. Sweet gun. 7x57 if you load it to pressure is a little more than a 7/08. When you look at a model 70 compared to a remington It has advantages. Big extractor, safety, lines. And I fixed the lawyer MOA trigger so it is breaking at 2 1/2 pounds. My choice. But I know not everyone likes the same things. I will admit the Remington is a better design for making holes but for a hunting rig I will take a model 70. First of all it has to work.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it, so here it is. I have 5 Model 70's, 2 Custom 98 Mausers and a Montana Rifle Company 1999 all Weather ultralight stainless. Needless to say I am a fan of the 3 position wing safety and the controlled round feed with the claw extractor. The controlled round feed is quieter than the push feed, and functions in any position, even upside down. And the claw extractor just doesn't fail. Exactly why I favor them over all others.

Of the Model 70's, 3 are Extreme Weather stainless ( one purchased as an '06 immediately having the barrel removed to build a 280 Ackley - since Winchester doesn't offer it ) 1 Featherweight in 280 Rem ( it is push feed, but I won't part with it because it is so darn accurate for out of the box - light and fast if I'm hunting in brush) and 1 Super Grade in. .338 Win Mag from the custom shop in a rare "100 only" build before the CRF was re-introduced. The Mausers were custom builds, stocked on beautiful English Walnut.

The 2 stock Extreme Weather 70's were both very accurate out of the box, and required no adjusting. Tried a few different factory loads, and accurate to the point there is no need to reload for them. I personally love the new trigger. Crisp, light, and no creep. While it could be adjusted, there was no need, especially if you are hunting with it. I'm sure the '06 would have been just as accurate too, I just wanted a 280 Ackley on that action and stock. It is my primary hunting rig. If you chose that rifle in 7-08, I doubt you would be disappointed.

The Remington or the Winchester? You already know my choice. But is it the best choice for you, since caliber choice isn't an issue? The only way to be sure is to go pick them up, shoulder them, handle them. What feels best and comes to your shoulder/line of sight? I will add that many seem to have issues with the QC coming out of Remington these days. But you may get lucky and get a good one, if that is your choice. The same was said about Kimber, but many guys love them. They are a dream to carry, and I considered one in 280 Ackley myself, before doing the custom Extreme Weather.

All the hyperbole aside, if after handling both, you still can't choose...toss a coin! I'll even lend you one. Just be aware, my coin has two heads and they're both Winchester Model 70!

Just my humble 2 cents, I have a little freshly renewed green blood flowing through my veins, but only if its an Older model. Ive owned both and both have their virtues. The older 70 trigger, is so easy to get broken glass crisp, bbut so does a Mike Walker trigger built at the right era. The model 7 barrel is a bit skinny for me, but for a few shots, it'll get the job done, and lighter. The Model 70 , is just a piece of history, with classic styling, but i like the ones built in Ct.
Somebody pass me a beer?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.