Win Model 70 or Rem Model 7 7mm-08

I'm a die hard Remington fan, I have two 700's SPS in 7mm-08 and love them. The Model Seven is just as nice and they shoot great. My brother has one in 7 SAUM and my dad did also, easy to find clover leaf groups for.

I also like longer barrels, reason why I own the SPS that comes with a 24", and the Winchester has the longer barrel. So I'd go with the Model 70, they have always been quality rifles as well.

Stay safe.

This might be a topic better discussed over a few beers with old hats at this, but I'm really eye-balling a new 7mm-08 rifle for smaller game hunting (deer, hogs, etc.). The two rifles I keep looking at are the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather 22" SS with a B&C Stock, 5-round capacity, and the Remington Model 7 20" with the HS Precision stock and 4-round capacity.

Seems I'm paying more money for the Winchester, both are iconic rifles with great reputations, and both should stand up in the wet weather of the Pacific Northwest. Is the Winchester worth the money with the extra round and extra 2" on the barrel to maybe squeeze out that last bit of velocity? Can anyone speak to the best loads for accuracy on either one?
I can speak to the Winchester. I had one and didn't like. I've had several Remingtons 700's and one #7.
I like the Rem for several reasons. One being that it's easy to get parts should you ever need them.
It's well know for it's accuracy... Seems most after mkt actions are Rem Clones, not so much on Winnies. There is a reason for that.
And how often do you empty out your rifle and need to reload.
Do the extra rounds matter that much.

Mostly I shot 120gr NOSLER BT over Varget. Varget was my best "GO-TO" powder. WW760 was also very good. Also shot some Nosler 140gr. &-08 is a very solid performer.
The 7-08 Ackley ain't bad either.

I've had two Winchester Model 70's and was able to make both of them shoot Sub-MOA with their original factory barrels.

Older Model 70's may require some stock work to get them consistent, but you are considering a new one with B&C stock and the new MOA trigger, so it may be good to go out of the box.

For folks who love to insert aftermarket parts and play the Lego-type game with their firearms, both Winchester and Remington are made for it. And many love to tweak and personalize their rifles.

For folks who just want a rifle that shoots great without any further work, I wouldn't and indeed didn't go with either one of these old standby workhorses. If you want a synthetic stocked rifle that you can adjust the trigger to the way you want it right out of the box and go shoot it and it is great without all the work--buy a synthetic stocked Sauer 100. All the work is done, just mount good scope and be happy.

7mm-08 is a very good cartridge. Between the two I would go with the M70 for the longer magazine & barrel. I owned a 700 in 7mm-08 - it shot & fed well. I currently own a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08. It shoots very well also & carries like a wand in the mountains. Has all the perks of a M70 CRF action - just a bunch lighter. A friend has a model 7 in 7mm-08 & it does not feed nearly as well as the 700 I owned - probably due to shorter magazine and steeper feed. Just my experience - but hard to go wrong with the cartridge. Also have had my best accuracy with 140 grain Noslers & both IMR 4064 &RL15 powders.

I hunt OR, have several Remys and one Winnie, and without consideration for weight, Winchester, hands down.
Smoother action, better, more consistent feeding.
If you're hunting coastal range, Cascades or Olympics, weight is an important consideration.
For coastal range, I prefer 20" over longer, but 22" isn't much.
Which one feels better?
I don't buy for resale, but think my Winnie holds better value than my Remys.
P.S. 7mm-08 is a great cartridge for elk too.
Hogs? Where? Southern OR or Kali?

This might be a topic better discussed over a few beers with old hats at this, but I'm really eye-balling a new 7mm-08 rifle for smaller game hunting (deer, hogs, etc.). The two rifles I keep looking at are the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather 22" SS with a B&C Stock, 5-round capacity, and the Remington Model 7 20" with the HS Precision stock and 4-round capacity.

Seems I'm paying more money for the Winchester, both are iconic rifles with great reputations, and both should stand up in the wet weather of the Pacific Northwest. Is the Winchester worth the money with the extra round and extra 2" on the barrel to maybe squeeze out that last bit of velocity? Can anyone speak to the best loads for accuracy on either one?

I have both and have used the Winchesters and Remington since the 60s. Both are great and wish had not traded off any of them. I shoot both the pre-64 and the new ones as well as the Rem. 700s and 7s with no problem. As I am old (77) what hunting I do is with Rem. 700 mountain rifles with wood stocks and skinny barrels. Both my mountain rifles (270&280) shoot under an moa for 3 shots. Plenty good enough.

Capacity should be a mute point. If you can't hit them with the first three, why would you throw 4 or 5 at them. I'm assuming this is not going to be your dangerous game or personal defense rifle. I'm not saying if I had room for another round or two I wouldn't use it, but I just don't think that should be a factor in determining which to buy. Win 70 for me, but that's a sweet little Remington.

The biggest issue I have with newer Remingtons is the fact that they now use a pressed metal follower. It is too light and tends to bind in the magazine. Fortunately, I was able to swap them out, but at considerable cost. They were $150 EACH, I had to buy 4 of them.
The triggers are also AWFUL.

Cheers.

IMO, the model 7 is low end compared to the model 70. Yes, it can get the job done but I'd have to go up to the 700sps to be roughly equal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.