Win Model 70 or Rem Model 7 7mm-08

captnmo

This might be a topic better discussed over a few beers with old hats at this, but I'm really eye-balling a new 7mm-08 rifle for smaller game hunting (deer, hogs, etc.). The two rifles I keep looking at are the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather 22" SS with a B&C Stock, 5-round capacity, and the Remington Model 7 20" with the HS Precision stock and 4-round capacity.

Seems I'm paying more money for the Winchester, both are iconic rifles with great reputations, and both should stand up in the wet weather of the Pacific Northwest. Is the Winchester worth the money with the extra round and extra 2" on the barrel to maybe squeeze out that last bit of velocity? Can anyone speak to the best loads for accuracy on either one?

In my opinion , the Winchester. I have had problems with the Remington's & their fingernail piece of sheet metal they call an extractor. The CRF claw of the model 70 is massive. As for accuracy that would depend on the quality of the individual barrel. Most shoot quite well for either brand.

Both are great rifles flip a coin if one does not float your boat more than the other with a 140 you should expect 2700- 2750 out of them with varget , imr 4166 imr 4064 or several others great chambering enjoy your new rifle which ever way you go

I have 4 of the M70 Extreme Weather rifles in various calibers and every **** one of them shoots well under MOA consistently with handloads. Wasn't an arduous task finding a load for any of them either. I'm very skeptical about the rifles that are coming out of the "Big Green" factories right now.....

Can't really say which rifle too pick but I will say your cartridge choice couldn't be better . I bought my oldest son a 7mm08 several years back and after watching him kill stuff I decided I wanted to try one myself. I believe if I was a young man again and somehow I got my hands on a 7 mm08 that may have ended up being the only rifle I would have wanted . At least for up to deer sized game .
I can honestly say we've tried about 12 different bullets and powder combinations in 2 different guns and they all have shot under 1 1/4 inches most well under an inch . His shoots the 120 gr sierras into 5/8 groups all day long, and mine will lay the 120 gr ballistic tips into 1/2 hole the same. A lot of people have good luck with the 7 mm08 and varget. We on the other hand do not , our magic dust seems to be imr 4064. We get better accuracy with it and only sacrifice very little in speed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.