Win model 70 compact .308

G

This gun didn't shot for nothing(2"gourps!)With various ammo! So, I had the trigger done, the action bedded, and the barrel floated! First group fired 3/4" @100 yrds with Fed 150 Hi Shocks. Now I ordered a lupy 3x9x40 tactical for this rig. My question is with a 20" barrel volocity will suffer. But if I can get a handload (168 SMK?) under .5" and up around 2600 fps I could use this rig for 5-700 yards right! (ONLY ON G-HOGS AND DEER AS FAR AS I CAN HIT MILK JUGS!!!)But will that load have enough energy to 700 yards? My twist is 1/10 ". Thanks for any load info or suggestions
grin.gif

Bubb, You'll have enough for deer out to 700 with 46gr. of Varget under a 168 MK or an A-Max, should get ya to about 2650fps, put the bullet about .010" off the lands, give or take .005-.010". I know with my 308 700Rem. the 168MKs base is right at the bottom of the neck when the ojive is just kissin' the lands, which is supposed to be ideal from what I've heard and read, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
frown.gif
Can't hurt to try, Range is closed.
frown.gif
Jay

Bubb,

My son Brad has a Compact too. Try the 155 Palma for supurb accuracy too, it was shooting 2750 fps at 55,000 psi on the Oehler 43 and it shoots around .5-.7 moa. It's much faster and flatter shooting than the 168 SMK and shoots better too. I was using 46.6gr of IMR 4064 and never tried another powder with it. OAL was 2.800". CCI BR2 primer.

Another good load is Federals 165 Gr Sierra GameKing SPBT, it shot a 1.1" group at 300 yards once, and always averages under .7 moa. For a factory load it was a good one. He killed this 59" bull at 200 yards with that gun and load there when he was 11, yours'll do fine to 700 on deer!
wink.gif
He was dialed in at 350 yards when this one here and another one walked right below us at 200.
Let me know if you need any more load data, I have some more too.
fcfe88e1.jpg

Brent, I'll have to agree with that load too, I had a load for a former Browning 308 Stalker I used to own that would shoot 3/4 moa with 46gr. 4064 w/150 Nosler BT same length and primer as yours. Could have went with 47grs but wasn't quite as accurate, my Rem. did better with 47grs with that bullet and with 150 SBT and going by what my Speer manual stated should be over 2900fps. Not as much energy as 168 grainer at 700yds but close enough I'd think.
wink.gif
Jay

Thanks for the info guys. I really love this gun, and it is proving to be a real shooter. Brent I think I'll give those 165 FED. SGK spbt a try. I wanted to stick with something with s higher BC, and I think that bullet has a pretty good one? I'll keep every one posted on my progress.
grin.gif

This gun didn't shot for nothing(2"gourps!)With various ammo! So, I had the trigger done, the action bedded, and the barrel floated! First group fired 3/4" @100 yrds with Fed 150 Hi Shocks. Now I ordered a lupy 3x9x40 tactical for this rig. My question is with a 20" barrel volocity will suffer. But if I can get a handload (168 SMK?) under .5" and up around 2600 fps I could use this rig for 5-700 yards right! (ONLY ON G-HOGS AND DEER AS FAR AS I CAN HIT MILK JUGS!!!)But will that load have enough energy to 700 yards? My twist is 1/10 ". Thanks for any load info or suggestions
grin.gif

I am thinking about buying this very same carbine and caliber,the model 70 featherweight compact is one good looking rig and should shoot with the right load.I am now working on something convincing to reason to the boss why I need it..
Anybody have this problem?
Old Cor

Last edited:
I am thinking about buying this very same carbine and caliber,the model 70 featherweight compact is one good looking rig and should shoot with the right load.I am now working on something convincing to reason to the boss why I need it..
Anybody have this problem?
Old Cor
You do realize that this thread is 11 years old (2003), and that the OP isn't even around anymore, right?

You do realize that this thread is 11 years old (2003), and that the OP isn't even around anymore, right?

An what doe's that have to do with my question, The post could be a hundred years old for all I caregun)
I simply stated that I liked the .308 win featherweight compact and I needed a good excuse to buy one..I was wanting excuses...lightbulb

MudRunner, You must be one lucky dog,my better half is not so understanding. Her reply would be,Don't you already have one of them! :D
Good Shooting my Friend! Larry
I am lucky...I have no better half. I have nobody to answer to but myself and the good lord. And when it comes to myself, I can justify just about any purchase as a "need". :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.