Win Mod 70 Pre-64

It was made of alloy steel instead of being case hardened, low carbon steel. It was already a 'sporter'. Came with a scope friendly safety and drilled and tapped. Bolt handle didn't need work to use a scope. Longer mag box. Coned breech feeds flat nose, "dangerous game" bullets easier. Adjustable trigger (sort of).

I have owned and used both in a variety of cartridges from 7mm Mauser through the big bore 375/458 rifles. My overall experiences with both designs has been positive and I would have no issue choosing either design for the most demanding field applications. The Mauser was designed to be a battle rifle, the Pre-64 Winchester, a sporting rifle. For this reason, I usually found myself choosing the Model 70 for the features that were designed specifically for this use. A three position safety, a crisp, accessible, and easily adjusted trigger, and the availability of nicely finished rifles, offering various options to suit particular needs. While both are highly reliable controlled round feed designs, there are some differences between the two considering neither has been modified from the basic design. While the extractor on the Model 70 allows single cartridges to be top fed, rounds must be fed from the magazine with the Mauser. IMO, the full sized recoil lug and sufficient tang dimension of the Model 70 provides a better bedding surface over the Mausers very scant tang area and stubby recoil lug. On the other hand, the smaller recoil which includes the fron bedding screw attachment, provides extra wood/support in the stock webbing area, a benefit with the heavy magnums. This is why you see webbing cross pins in the stock of the 458 Model 70. I'm sure there are other differences that I have missed, but the ones mentioned were those ai thought were relevant to my experiences.
Shown: And pre-64 Model 70 Supergrade in 30-06 used for decades of NA hunting; and my Whitworth Mauser 375H&H used for African game from Impala to Cape Buffalo. Bothrifles still going strong with decades of heavy use.
4D1EB63C-C107-4361-BA62-28C7096FDE89.jpeg D2607666-E1BA-41E9-9E60-D709A512E06F.jpeg

That was very informative . I have a M70 Classic action ,what is the difference between that and the Pre-64 ?
The two are very similar in design and function with a couple of differences. Depending on the age of your post 64 classic, the earlier models(New HavenCt) introduced in the 1992 had the same trigger as the originals. Later models(Columbia, SC) under FN used an upgraded enclosed trigger, both excellent. The pre-64 uses a one piece bolt/body. The post 64 has a separate bolt handle which is press fitted with a sleeve to the bolt body. Another difference is that pre-64's were only made in long action, using a different length magazine, ejector, and bolt stop to accommodate shorter cartridges. The post 64 was manufactured in super short, short, and long lengths. Functionally, I have found both actions to perform smoothly and reliably.

Last edited:
I have owned and used both in a variety of cartridges from 7mm Mauser through the big bore 375/458 rifles. My overall experiences with both designs has been positive and I would have no issue choosing either design for the most demanding field applications. The Mauser was designed to be a battle rifle, the Pre-64 Winchester, a sporting rifle. For this reason, I usually found myself choosing the Model 70 for the features that were designed specifically for this use. A three position safety, a crisp, accessible, and easily adjusted trigger, and the availability of nicely finished rifles, offering various options to suit particular needs. While both are highly reliable controlled round feed designs, there are some differences between the two considering neither has been modified from the basic design. While the extractor on the Model 70 allows single cartridges to be top fed, rounds must be fed from the magazine with the Mauser. IMO, the full sized recoil lug and sufficient tang dimension of the Model 70 provides a better bedding surface over the Mausers very scant tang area and stubby recoil lug. On the other hand, the smaller recoil which includes the fron bedding screw attachment, provides extra wood/support in the stock webbing area, a benefit with the heavy magnums. This is why you see webbing cross pins in the stock of the 458 Model 70. I'm sure there are other differences that I have missed, but the ones mentioned were those ai thought were relevant to my experiences.
Shown: And pre-64 Model 70 Supergrade in 30-06 used for decades of NA hunting; and my Whitworth Mauser 375H&H used for African game from Impala to Cape Buffalo. Bothrifles still going strong with decades of heavy use.
View attachment 131738 View attachment 131737
I had two pre-64s, a 30.06 standard & a .308 Featherweight. Loved them both but had to sell them to help buy a house. Later I bought a new (2014) Model 70. Very nice.
Anyone who doesn't have a pre-64, or wants to add to their stable, look at the New Model 70.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.