Win Mod 70 Pre 64 Supergrade...

JOSE A. MARINE

I own one of these rifles in 257 roberts that won`t shoot anymore, so i´m planing on rebarreling in 308 win, what tips can you give me on the work planned?

I`m planning a big bull barrel on this rifle...

any tricks on the job?

or should I spend my money on a rem 700?

this forum is maybe 99% rem 700, but I dont undestand why you guys dont like win model 70 actions...?

please help.

Joe

The Winchester action is as good or better for building off of for a hunting rifle ,the remingtons are so much more popular becuase they are so easy and fairly cheep to work on with a huge assortment of aftermarket goodies for them

The winchester actrion is alot stiffer than the rem so a heavier barrel can be hung off of it with less worry.

Their are no trickes to building a Winchester , blueprint it just like the Rem 700 , barrel it just like the rem 700 and it will shoot just as good as any Rem 700

BUT , that is a pretty high priced sought after rifle you have their , if its in good shape I'd leave it alone maybe rebarrel it back to like factroy. But to each his own.

thanks

thanks for your reply, this rifle was handed to me by my grandfather at a young age, I really like it.

I´m a gunsmith down here in old mexico, and have done plenty of rebarrelling jobs, and of course blueprinting actions.

this is the first super grade job for me, and I would like to put in it all the wisdom at hand.

what stock is best at the quality/price ratio?

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.