Win M70 groups

reelhardmt

I have a Winchester M70 STW and am having grouping issues.... My first two shots are touching the next is a 1.5 inch flyer. (My best groups are with imr 7828 ssc at 75.5 with a eld-x 150 grain.) Is this acceptable for a factory sporter rifle or should it shoot better?

what stock?? The win rifle rifles usually are sub moa by a good bit, but the Tupperware stock on the ss models wasn't up to the task and would be too mushy for good accuracy... The eld-x bullet is also a pretty soft bullet for good accuracy in the stw; I had to go to the 175 with a good dose of h50bmg to get it to shoot well. If you don't have a fester than normal twist don't bother with that one.

I'd try a 140 or 150 nosler ab or bt with rl25 and a 215 with rem brass.

Last edited:
Does it matter clean vs dirty? If clean, have you tried shooting it a little fouled?

The stock as suggested is a good place to start. In the articles section is a good article on bedding. Adding a little fore-end pressure at the tip, a layer of tape at a time has worked for me more often than not.

what stock?? The win rifle rifles usually are sub moa by a good bit, but the Tupperware stock on the ss models wasn't up to the task and would be too mushy for good accuracy... The eld-x bullet is also a pretty sort bullet for good accuracy in the stw; I had to go to the 175 with a good dose of h50bmg to get it to shoot well. If you don't have a fester than normal twist don't bother with that one.

I'd try a 140 or 150 nosler ab or bt with rl25 and a 215 with rem brass.

Its got a factory wood stock. I might try the 140-160 AB as I've had bad luck with eld-x in must of my rifles.

Does it matter clean vs dirty? If clean, have you tried shooting it a little fouled?

The stock as suggested is a good place to start. In the articles section is a good article on bedding. Adding a little fore-end pressure at the tip, a layer of tape at a time has worked for me more often than not.

ha I just removed the "hump" at the end of the stock to see if that help tighen the groups up. It didn't help... The rifle deffently show accuracy potential, at 200 yards the first two shots are touching and the third is 1.5 left. same as it is at 100 yards!

I owned the same gun and had the same issues as you are having. I chased my tail for years and finally bought a bore cam and the barrel looked like a plowed field inside. It sure had a beautiful stock and blue job but would not shoot. It now is a new 28 Nosler with a Rock Creek 1/8 twist and shoots great. Problem solved. So look in the bore before you pull all your hair out.

Now that the "hump" is gone, slowly increase the fore end pressure. I've seen groups tighten to a sweet spot, then increase as it went past.

I just had a No. 1 restocked, a different beast but, it really showed how much the stock being correctly done matters. Pillar bedded front and back it's an entirely different rifle.

Now that the "hump" is gone, slowly increase the fore end pressure. I've seen groups tighten to a sweet spot, then increase as it went past.

I just had a No. 1 restocked, a different beast but, it really showed how much the stock being correctly done matters. Pillar bedded front and back it's an entirely different rifle.
thanks for the advise I will deffently do that! I have to travel to find some more primers this week.

I have a Winchester M70 STW and am having grouping issues.... My first two shots are touching the next is a 1.5 inch flyer. (My best groups are with imr 7828 ssc at 75.5 with a eld-x 150 grain.) Is this acceptable for a factory sporter rifle or should it shoot better?
Sounds like a bedding/torque/flaoting issue.

Thanks WildRose! I have changed a couple things sense I first posted this. Mostly seating depth...I have yet to check the speed of it but it seems really fast and flat! (150 eldx and 76 7828ssc)

I had rifles that did what yours did. Skim bedding cured it. It's a quick way to check stock fit and rule out issues. There are two other "ideas" that people have suggested. One was suggested to me that the bullets hasn't stabilized at 100 yards and starts to further down range. Brian Litz doesn't agree with that rule of thought and I think if memory serves me right suggests it's a shooter issue and groups stay the same because the shooter increases their focus at longer distances. In any case I had a Interarms 243 that would shoot tight and open up one round horizontally and skim bedding cured it. My pushfeed M70 FWT 30-06 holds 1.5 MOA at 100, 200, and 300 yards. I haven't checked on paper beyond that but it hits small water bottles on the 450 yard berm with 180gr PT's so I call it good. I'd try a skim bed and then increase forend pressure like HARPERC suggested. If you have access to a borecam that's a good idea too (sedancowboy).

If you haven't already done so you could shoot it at further distances too. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.