Win m70 base alignment issue

r7s

I am trying to decide how to address a base alignment issue. Win m70 SG long action made around 1954.

Old mounts were Leupold STD with shim in rear, rings required heavy lapping.

I mounted a VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS with STD base and rings, no shim. The scope has a total of 52 MOA adjustment. With the elevation cranked to maximum I am still 3.0" low at 100yds and 9.4" low at 200 yards with my preferred load.

I am considering trying to add 30 to 40 MOA either by a sloped base or via Burris Signature rings. I would prefer a two piece base for this rifle, but I am not aware of any 2 piece bases with 20+ MOA built in.

I do not like the STD base and would prefer a picatinny or weaver type base, but am open to ideas.

It is easy to find manufacturer data on ring height, but trying to get mounting base height from top of front receiver is not readily available. For bolt clearance I am trying to get to about 0.95" from front receiver to optical axis.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

The burris rings with the offset inserts would probably work and would be cheapest.

The "right" way to do it would be to find a talented gunsmith with a mill that will mill the bases of your choice to the correct height to fix the problem. Mark Penrod in North Manchester IN comes to mind because he did that for me on a M70 that had alignment issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.