Williamsport - I had a "Blast"

G

My first time shooting at Williamsport was yesterday. In a nut shell, I had a "Blast".

Dave7mm and Myself drove over Friday night and stayed in Lock Haven. Boyd met us friday evening for dinner, thanks Boyd. We met Boyd's wife (a very pleasant young lady} and his children.

Saturday morning we got up with the chickens. I had one eye barely open. We followed Boyd to the club where we met with Darryl and many other characters. It was interesting to meet a lot of new people and we had a pleasant time talking guns, among other things. Boyd & Darryl gave me the "ins and outs" of what was to take place, aside from my poor shooting, lol. We went to the "pits" for 2 relays just to observe and we then worked two relays. I had a lot of fun in the "pits", everyone was very friendly and helpfull. It was a really enjoyable learning experience.

It was determined that I would shoot in relay number 9 - bench 10. It was a very nice balmy 96 degrees out and the wind was switching directions. Perfect conditions to shoot (yeah right, lol). I was amazed at how easy it was to see the target even though they are 1022 yards away. Dave and myself determined my elevation adjustment before we left and I adjusted the vertical before we left on Friday. We pegged it as I never had to adjust the elevation during the "sight in" portion of the shoot. I made an adjustment for windage - the wrong way. I'll blame it on nerves, thats as good of an excuse as any, lol. Dave and Boyd where spotting for me and they told me your hitting right. I made another windage adjustment (in the wrong direction, lol) and shot again. Again, they both told me, your further right. Just then the announced came over the PA system and said: "Shooter on 10 your way right, go the other way". I was luaghing so hard at that point I couldn't do much. After composing myself I did adjust in the proper direction. I then went to paper and my first shot, on paper, was at 1 O'clock and slightly to the right. For my purpose I figured it was good enough. I was there to have fun, and I was having fun. My next shot was at 5 O'clock and again slightly right. I figured that was good enough and I then waited till they announced to shoot for score. Being that it was ONLY 96 degrees and my rifle is just a plain jane Rem bdl with a slightly heavier then stock barrel I knew my barrel was going to get HOT during the shooting for score (10 rounds). When they announced to shoot for score I proceeded to do so, slowly but at least I was throwing lead, lol. My first 3 shots where pretty good, one even hit the bull (even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile). I pulled #4 way right, not good,
frown.gif

#5,6,7 all looked pretty good. By this time the barrel was obviously getting pretty hot as I could see the heat waves in the scope. There was a cerain amount of mirage as well but not really enough to bother me. Number 8 went right as well. I adjusted to the left and #9 was back closer to the bull. Then came number 10, lol. I pushed it WAY right and Boyd and Dave both told me, it was off the paper. I had one goal and that was to get all 10 on paper. I was somewhwat dissapointed that I hadn't done so.

Once the targets all arrived back at the clubhouse and where scored Dave got ahold of mine. I was putting my gear away when he brought the target out for me to see. I did get all 10 on paper. What was determined was that the bullet must of hit the frame and deflected way right. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to hit the frame on purpose.

My group was an extremely tight group - had I been shooting at 3000 yards, lol. I won't bore anybody with my score, lol. I counted how many people did not get 10 shots on paper. There were 24 and I was supprised. I shot a round forend rifle with hunting bullets - 300 win mag and 180gr ballistic tips. They bullets held up really well at 1022 yards. At one point, while I was shooting for score I heard somebody behind me yelling to Dave "thats a deer ridle", I laughed to myself and Dave resonded, yes it is, and laughed. At the weigh-in my rifle weighs 11.8lbs. Most of the rifles used weighed between 16 and 16.5lbs plus I didn't see any "regular deer rifles". IF and I know there are always "IFS" I hadn't pushed 3 shots way right I would of had a pattern around 17", but it ended up about double that. I was happy with my vertical spread of 9" which tells me that my loads must be pretty consistant for velocity.

Now the wheels started turning,
smile.gif

If I got a flat forend type stock I wouldn't have to concern myself with both getting on the bull as well as making sure my crosshair is level. It took me the longest to shoot because everytime I located the "bull" again I had to then make sure my crosshair was level. A flat forend would make it easier.

In summary. I had a GREAT time and a Special thank you to Boyd for having us down, showing us around and explaining everything to us. I would also like to thank Darryl for his sharing of knowledge and just being who is he - a very pleasant person to talk to.

All the people at the Williamsport Gun CLub where very nice people. We truly enjoyed ourselves and we will be back again. Next time lets have a nice cool 65 and no wind,
smile.gif

Thanks guys,

Don
smile.gif

Shakey, Prime, 7mm and Boyd.

Shakey and 7MM
It was a great meeting you both and I like to see newbies that have so much fun in this 1000 yard shooting game especially your first trip to the club.

With the purchase of better competitive benchrest items such as stocks and "optical equipment" with MORE power, you will do fine the next time you come back. You did keep all ten on the first time you came to Williamsport and that was with an almost factory rifle of only 11 Lbs with a max 16X "inferior" scope for shooting benchrest. You will do fine with the stock you ordered and the next purchase you might want to consider is a new "LEUPOLD" lONGRANGE scope that is 8 1/2X to 25X and the 30 mm Tube. That one will no doubt "outclass" the scope you had on the rifle Saturday. The secrets out now---It's been MANY years since "you" owned a Leupold and many changes have been made in improvements.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Your both always welcome at the Williamsport Range. When we can joke and kid back and forth, that's what this 1000 yard shooting game it's all about.
Nice meeting you both.

Prime
Glad we got to shoot in the same relay and I was only able to beat you by .027". Keep doing what your doing and you will be a contender for sure. Nice shooting.

Boyd.
Hope you enjoyed the little Birthday cake and glad to see my rest worked out well for you. You can use it anytime.
The high score and nice group on Sunday will keep you coming back as well. keep up the good shooting and you too will be a contender.
The next time, I won't use a brand new rifle that has not had the recoil lug bedded into the stock. Good shooting.

Hope to see Shakey and 7MM back at Williamsport and I know Boyd and Prime(Sam) will be back for all the matches. They are hooked like BIG CARP and can blame me for that one.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Later
DC

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl, Prime Time (Sam) & Boyd,

Let the head games begin, LMAO
grin.gif

Darryl, sorry to hear about your bad back BUT if you keep patting yourself on the back you are not going to help that sore back
grin.gif

I will keep and use my "Superior" Schmidt & Bender" scope since I can't see through those "Blurry" Leupolds,
grin.gif

Darryl, just to make my "Superior" Scope closer to the same as those "Inferior" leupolds the next time I will smear grease all over my front lens. LMAO
grin.gif

To all, I did in fact have a good time and we will be back. Now Dave wants to shoot as well. I guess since Dave figured if I can hit paper, he can as well. I don't doubt it for a minute. It's a good thing Williamsport is 3 1/2 hour drive otherwise you would never get rid of us. It IS very addictive, thats for sure.
If you guys are looking for a "trigger man" this December (deer season). Let us know. I would enjoy killing a deer at 1022 yards. I see now, with a different stock, that it really isn't that difficult to accomplish. Only thing is I will be using those "Inferior" ballistic tips versus the "Superior" Game Kings.
grin.gif

Again, it was a pleasure meeting all of you.

Take care,

Don
smile.gif

Sure sounds like you all had a great time, sorry I can't get my act together and get up that way.

Congrats and I sorry... getting hooked on this long range shooting is a terrible thing
smile.gif

Mr King......You better get up here soon..The next match is Aug 17....We need help.....D.C. is about to open a BIG CAN OF WHOOP *** on Prime and myself......WE NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif

To all.I had a blast.Its just to much fun shooting that far.
Darryl,If you get a minute could you use your program and give me the comeup for a 180g BT with a BC of .507 with a MV of 3100 at 1022 yards.When I plug the 96 degree temp in to my program it poops out.
thank you
dave

Shaky

Did you rub grease on the objective lens of that S&M scope "before" you handed it to me to look at???
When you cranked it up to 16X it really looked like you had, honestly.
I have "NEVER" seen a Leupold LR set on 16X that looked as bad as your S&B.
grin.gif

I saw again, why I never bought one.

Next time you come to Williamsport Boyd and I will lay our Leupold LR scopes down beside your S&B, turn them BOTH "down" to "ONLY" 16X to prove it to you since you haven't had a Leupold in many years. I believe you will re-think your negative stand on the "NEW" Leupolds.

Just think how much better you could see that target and shoot with 25X instead of "ONLY" 16X and blurry besides.

It will be a whole new world for you to experiance.

See you the next time when the weather cools off.

Leupolds and Matchkings work.

Later
DC

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Dave7mm

At 1000 feet elevation and with the numbers you gave me here is what comes up

At 1000 Yards----23.2 MOA
At 1040 Tards----24.9 MOA

Try 24 MOA for actual at 1022 Yards.

Both Boyd and my charts will certainly put you on paper and near the bull and only 5" (.5MOA) apart in our readings. One MOA is 10" at 1000 yards.

Later
DC

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Hello Don,
Nice meeting you Saturday. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I too, shot in the 9th relay hoping to beat Darryl. It didn't happen but we had fun.
You'll have to get yourself a new stock and come back again. Hope to see you there.

PrimeTime,

Nice meeting and talking to you as well
smile.gif

I am already planning on getting a McMillan "Hunter Class" stock. This is my deer rifle and even though I could get hooked FAST into the 1000 yard bench rest game, I'm not going to do it. This winter, after our deer season I will be sending the barreled action off to Dan Dowling to have him install a new McMillan Hunter Class stock.

We plan on comming back in Sept - hopefully when you guys turn on the A/C down there, lol. I must of drank 4 gallons of liquid yesterday. Personally I prefer the white stuff - Snow.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Don,I'm glad you guy's had fun.You missed a good day today.....A few 100 score's and Mark K shot a 3.3 inch group today.The record is 3.151......Oh so close........
grin.gif
.I shot a 12 with a 92 score...Not bad but not good enough.I was tied for second for score in my relay.Oh well maybe next time......Thank you for the kind words.Later.....Boyd....

Darryl,

When you looked through my "Superior" Schmidt & Bender I would of figured that a guy with all your experience would of changed the Parallax to 1000 meters instead of leaving it at 100 meters, seriously.

By the way, Schmidt & Bender puts actual numbers on the parallax knob because they have it figured out, unlike those "Inferior" Leupolds. Leupold just puts lines on their parallax knob, since they have no clue, lol.

What power are your glasses? What is your vision without them? My vision is 20-15 without glasses.
smile.gif

Let the Games begin, lol

Dave is hooked BIG TIME. On our drive back he kept saying: Next time I am going to shoot. I think he wanted to see how bad I did first, lol.
Have a good one all,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky

Your "Inferior" S&B scope is just like all the others I have looked through in the past "AFTER" the paralex was adjusted. Just thought they were all alike. Is yours any different? Does it REALLY matter on "that" brand of scope how much you adjust them??
Do they ever clear up? Haven't seen one that did yet.

Most people coming to a 1000 yard match and in later relays have already made some sort of adjustment to their scopes before waiting till the last minute and especially before they hand it to someone to look at just before "he" is getting ready to shoot.

Knowing just how inferior they are in the optics and low powers, I guess it just didn't interest me to make any adjustments on "YOUR" scope and change the settings. That's a no-no at our range to move ANY adjustment on anothers property anyway.

This "experianced" shooter will never do that and you can take that to the bank.

Knowing you were a "first time" newbie shooter with very little LR shooting experiance , I just thought maybe that's the way you always used it.

Anyway, try a new Leupold LR, Nightforce or Unertl 2" and put your hands on a "REAL" scope.
Your running out of time to enjoy and experiance a whole new World of Opticle viewing.

Hope to see you at another match when the weather cools down and maybe someone will loan you a "good" scope with a bit more power to see the white card on the target.

As an add on here, your "inferior" S&B scope is ONLY "superior" to a Tasco if that.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.