Will this setup hold up to 338 RUM recoil?

buckbrush

I have a 338 RUM with muzzle brake that was recently completed. It's around 11 pounds with no scope. For the time being while I save up for a highend set of optics, I was wondering how the following setup would work for 1000 yard shooting since I have it "on-hand".

Nikon buckmaster 6-18x40
Burris Signature Zee rings
Weaver two piece bases

I figure with the ring inserts I can get around 20 MOA of cant but I am more concerned with holding zero and tracking with this gun.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Good choice for an affordable set up, but Id opt for Burris for affordable toughness.
Ask your Nikon rep if theyll hold up to an air gun with forward spring recoil and if he's honest hell say maybe,......probably not....theyre rifle scopes.....uuuhhh...
Ask a Burris rep the same question and hell say absolutely! (They have retainer screw thingy's on both sides not just 1 side.) And theyll waranty it.
Learned that one from the reps while building Sportsmans Warehouses all over the U.S. If your woried about severe recoil messing up your''budget scope''(and I say that tongue in cheek cause theyre the best I can afford) Call up burris and ask them. I have a few and they hold up fine to my 300wby.and other magnums.

Aside from toughness, I dont have any personal experience with ''dialing em up''
at 1k.

Good choice for an affordable set up, but Id opt for Burris for affordable toughness.
Ask your Nikon rep if theyll hold up to an air gun with forward spring recoil and if he's honest hell say maybe,......probably not....theyre rifle scopes.....uuuhhh...
Ask a Burris rep the same question and hell say absolutely! (They have retainer screw thingy's on both sides not just 1 side.) And theyll waranty it.
Learned that one from the reps while building Sportsmans Warehouses all over the U.S. If your woried about severe recoil messing up your''budget scope''(and I say that tongue in cheek cause theyre the best I can afford) Call up burris and ask them. I have a few and they hold up fine to my 300wby.and other magnums.

Aside from toughness, I dont have any personal experience with ''dialing em up''
at 1k.

+1
The Burris is one of the toughest scopes made !

I love the Leupold's but on hard kicking rifles I always use Burris (These are rifles /pistols
that have 80 ft/lbs + recoil).

J E CUSTOM

I figure with the ring inserts I can get around 20 MOA of cant but I am more concerned with holding zero and tracking with this gun.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

You can get 40 MOA in theory, according to Burris.
20 in the back, 20 in the front.
Use the "small" side of the 20 insert on the top of the rear ring and the "small" side on the bottom of the front ring. In theory (again, according to Burris) that gets you 20 MOA up in back and 20 MOA down in front for 40 MOA total.

FYI, depending on your zero (ie. 200 yards, 300 yards, etc) you may not need all 40. However, I'd recommend getting at least one "installation kit" which has one each of the 5/10/20 inserts; better yet get two as the shipping for the second set you'll need will be more than the cost of the kit. :) I've found opticsplanet to be the best price, especially with free shipping.

I'd just put that scope on there for now, and if it holds up for a while you can save for a Burris.
I just got my 338 RUM barreled action ( Broughton )back from Jim at Center shot rifles and it has his muscle brake on it. I bought a Burris Black Diamond 6x-24x-50mm to put on it. That is my 7th Burris scope.
Just my .02
Tarey

If you do use your nikon I would love to here how it does. I love nikons but have not tried one on anything harder than 6.5 lb 300 win and the glass on my uncles burris is beautiful but while my nikon has no problem riding on the four weeler, his burris looses it's zero every-time and it has gone back to get a clean bill of heath from the factory, just shows you never know till you try. My nikon cost about a third the money of his burris.

buckbrush

I have a M700 LSS 338 RUM w/o any kind of brake or porting that started with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8 with M1 dials and then upgraded to a Mark 4 4.5x14x40mm with M1 dials. I have never had a single problem.

My nephew has a M700 XCR 338 RUM with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40mm that has held up,sorta.
It doesn't always hold its zero, close but not dead on like the Leupolds have for me.

JD338

That's interesting info I had a Burris FFII go belly up after 9 shots from my .340wby 2yrs ago. Bought it new that year. Best inexpensive scopes I've found to hold up to recoil is the Leupold Fixed scopes. I have a 6x42 with the LR dots and had an M1 turret added and it's everything I want it to be. I shoot steel plates out to 1000yds without much trouble on decent wind days. good luck

My gunsmith recomended dual dovetail scope mounts for heavy recoil rifles. I personally love my sightron scope. My wife had a burris short mag scope on her 300 SAUM and was not happy with it. So now she has a sightron scope on her rifle. 4-16x42mm. Sightron has an awesome warranty on their products and claim they can withstand the recoil of a 50 BMG.

Here's what happened to me..........

338 RUM 300 SMKs @ 2730 or so.

Burris insert rings. To get the scope to hold I had to hawg the ring torque so much that the nifty little wrench looked like it was threaded. That is, it was twisted about 3/4 of a turn.

That worked well for about a year then accuracy went bonkers.

Cause was the windage adjustment on the rear mount sheared.:rolleyes:

Went with double dovetail mounts (rear same as front)--------No further problems.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.