Will the Corona Virus impact your hunting plans next fall?

Just saw the NBA has suspended all games till further notice due to am infected player

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's going to be some crazy times
Two infected Jazz players - gobert and mitchell. NCAA announced march madness will be played without fans, but I am guessing they could easily postpone or cancel the tournament. I am still planning on flying home for my annual spring bear hunt, but things are fluid and can change.

Maybe - but the coronavirus isnt the flu. Its way worse, even if you are young and healthy and get it. Scar tissue in the lungs etc. things that can impact your life for more than a few weeks.
Maybe - but the coronavirus isnt the flu. Its way worse, even if you are young and healthy and get it. Scar tissue in the lungs etc. things that can impact your life for more than a few weeks.
Again, I am not disputing anything about what it does, is, severity, life altering, physically impairing or anything else that it can do to harm you. My comments are solely directed towards the excessive media attention that is causing massive hysteria throughout our country and world when there are other things that have far more abilities to come in contact with and cause serious health problems, including death, the media never mentions. One doesn't have to look back very far to see how a similar situation with the avairian virus (Bird Flu) started a similar impact by the news media. To create a massive hysteria over the Covid-19 virus at this time that is bringing so much panic, fear and economic instability I feel is ridiculous and extremely overblown reaction.

And you don't realize that flu can cause the same issues? Most people who die from the flu die from pulmonary infections caused by the flu and those who survive the pulmonary infections have scared lungs as well.

Really don't know what narrative to believe

I agree 100% with that. However, I do believe at some point we will all contract the virus no matter how careful we are. I believe the big question is, who will survive it and who won't.

The secondary factor in that presumption is, how fast can an immunization regimen be developed. I keep hearing that 'they' are working tirelessly on just that but it takes 'time'. Time isn't on our side right now. Scrap all the red tape and 'exhaustive' clinical trials and fast track the immunization regimen. The entire world's population is at stake here. Not just here in this country, in every country, everywhere.

Heck of a population control medium.

If you cannot find TP, we have plenty of shelled corn cobs here....:D

Might be a little rough on the bum however.....

Again, I only am comparing hysteria driven by the media. As a former professional in the health industry I am totally aware of what is being reported through medical media regarding how Covid-19 virus effects patients clinically from what has been ascertained thus far.
The major issues that should be reported by the news media should be how to avoid contacting the virus which, just so happens, is similar to any air-spead pathogen like influenza. Keep a six foot or more corridor between you and others, cover your mouth when coughing with your elbow if you don't have something else and keep your hands washed and clean as possible.
But, to cause massive hysteria that will kill our country and others economically by the news media when we have other viruses that are killing far larger numbers of people never is reported and we have the means of inoculation that most don't use. Example, if you could get a shot right now to protect you from the Coronavirus, would you? Of course, as fast as you could roll up your sleeve. But, because you aren't made aware of influenza capable of causing a similar end result, because you have heard the word flu all of your life it seems somewhat insignificant even though what is called strains of flu are always different from year to year.
The media has hyped this up like it's the new plague of our world and it isn't.

Again, I only am comparing hysteria driven by the media. As a former professional in the health industry I am totally aware of what is being reported through medical media regarding how Covid-19 virus effects patients clinically from what has been ascertained thus far.
The major issues that should be reported by the news media should be how to avoid contacting the virus which, just so happens, is similar to any air-spead pathogen like influenza. Keep a six foot or more corridor between you and others, cover your mouth when coughing with your elbow if you don't have something else and keep your hands washed and clean as possible.
But, to cause massive hysteria that will kill our country and others economically by the news media when we have other viruses that are killing far larger numbers of people never is reported and we have the means of inoculation that most don't use. Example, if you could get a shot right now to protect you from the Coronavirus, would you? Of course, as fast as you could roll up your sleeve. But, because you aren't made aware of influenza capable of causing a similar end result, because you have heard the word flu all of your life it seems somewhat insignificant even though what is called strains of flu are always different from year to year.
The media has hyped this up like it's the new plague of our world and it isn't.
It isn't the news media that canceled the NBA or the MLS or are running the NCAA tournament without any fans. If you think they are making those decisions out of pure fear and fake news you are kidding yourself.

So our society is willing to accept almost 80K flu deaths and up to 50M flu illnesses each year. The following is from CDC website:
"CDC estimates that flu has resulted in between 9.3 million and 49 million illnesses each year in the United States since 2010. " "CDC estimates that from 2010-2011 to 2017-2018, influenza-associated deaths in the United States ranged from a low of 12,000 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 79,000 (during 2017-2018). The model used to estimate flu-associated deaths uses a ratio of deaths-to-hospitalizations in order to estimate the total flu-related deaths during a season. "
"Why is it difficult to know exactly how many people die from flu?
There are several factors that make it difficult to determine accurate numbers of deaths caused by flu regardless of reporting. Some of the challenges in counting flu associated deaths include the following:

• the sheer volume of deaths to be counted;
  • the lack of testing (not everyone that dies with an influenza-like illness is tested for influenza);
  • and the different coding of deaths (influenza-associated deaths often are a result of complications secondary to underlying medical problems, and this may be difficult to sort out)."
CDC-Flu

SO what is the number of deaths and illnesses we are willing to accept from this virus going forward? If this virus kills 80K people and presents illness in another 50M people, the media will go nuts and blame everybody for it but the crickets are chirping with 80K flu deaths and 50M flu illnesses.

I am not doubting the potential pathogenicity of the Coronavirus but I am asking why have we accepted the effect of the flu without even a blink of the eye? If we performed the same level of Coronoavirus containment for the flu, would we have the level of severity that is common and accepted?

Let's hope the Coronavirus becomes fully contained and is a one trick pony "one and done" scenario going forward. I do believe the containment actions need to be taken until we TRULY understand the pathogenicity of the Coronavirus, means to identify those who have it, standardized protocols to address containment and hopefully a vaccine. Understand, a vaccine is not a solution otherwise the flu wouldn't be rampant and deadly. Little more than 52% of the total population get a flu shot each year according to the CDC if you assume their numbers of 171M getting a shot is about half our 327M population so any vaccine for the Coronavirus will still not be effective unless we can get better vaccination results.

On another note, I just realized this morning I have the most effective means to kill the Coronavirus in my basement already put away until next hunting season. OZONICS! I may pull it out and put the mail in a sealed tub with it which will alleviate the fears with my wife.....

Considering that the Covid-19 is 35x-50x more deadly than the flu, and that it is far more transmittable from person-to-person than the flu, and that there won't be a vaccine for quite some time; I'm in the camp of "I take the threat of this pandemic seriously".

For updated data you will find this site to be very comprehensive, maybe even disturbing.

Corona Virus Updates worldwide

It isn't the news media that canceled the NBA or the MLS or are running the NCAA tournament without any fans. If you think they are making those decisions out of pure fear and fake news you are kidding yourself.
If fear of catching the virus is not causing it, what is? I want to be clear. I, like everyone else, don't want to contact the Coronavirus. I am a senior citizen with pulmonary issues and would most likely be a casualty. Sometimes schools are closed when severe outbreaks of flu create loss of enrollment numbers. But, are we being proactive to close our business and everything else on the chance someone might possibly be there who has been exposed when very few cases have happened in millions of people? The medical community is totally in agreement with what I have said. The media is starting to acknowledge what they are saying but it is probably a little bit late. I am done with arguing my point. What you just said totally proved it.

I get the numbers but understand they are the numbers that we can actually obtain at this time. We have absolutely no clue how people HAVE been infected with the Coronavirus that have shown symptoms and recovered nor do we have any clue how many people have NOT shown symptoms and recovered all of which were not tested for Coronavirus. This is what is so exasperating to me that the number of people is only known that HAVE been tested to confirm. There is no doubt there are substantially more people out there who either thought they had a cold, flu, allergies, etc and did nothing and recovered. The numbers do show this can be deadly but until we can determine the totality of the population infected, we can never determine the overall magnitude of the threat it poses either more or less. This is the same issue when determining the number of people who are believed to have contracted the flu, recovered and the resulting number of fatalities. Yes the Coronavirus appears to be deadly but almost ~650K die annually globally from the flu.

WHY isn't the WHO stating the flu is a worldwide Pandemic with these levels of numbers but they are with 4500 Coronavirus fatalities? The potential may be significantly higher but the end result number should also be a driver in making decisions. Does it matter the % is low but still kills high number of populations? The level of acceptance is what is twisting my shorts right now.

Maybe this will be a wakeup call to consider containment of flu outbreaks. I know some schools and some businesses have closed but why isn't our government taking the necessary steps to combat an infectious highly transmittable disease that kills high number of people, causes illness in extraordinary number of citizens, ties up extremely valuable medical resources dealing with people who have contracted it and yes even affects our economy.