Will the Corona Virus impact your hunting plans next fall?

Curious more than anything. I have a tentative NM Elk hunt planned and possibly a Maine Moose hunt as well and I'm considering not doing either because of the Corona Virus

Where are you at with it and is it impacting your hunting plans at all?
I would think that it will be long gone by then, at least I hope so ! I am more concerned about CWD hindering my deer seasons then the Corona Virus .

Probably not but I hunt relatively local and despite my falling income at the moment, savings and low gas prices should let me stay on my usual program depending on what I draw. Maybe there will be better draw odds this year if some people play it conservative and don't bother to put in. My applications were all in before the panic started.

Cautionary tale. I canceled a WT trip to Wyoming because of Covid concerns. I am 72 and at risk etc.
I had no fault trip insurance. The insurance company now will not honor my claim. Also had very "interesting " exchange with the agency that sold me the trip and the agency that sold me the insurance.
Onlythe Outfitter was stand up about this.
I dont want to use names here but I will gladly provide them thru IM or email.What I have to say is NOY positive.

I'm sorry to hear about your mess .

three of us had a Newfoundland moose hunt booked for this past Sept . none of us had the shot , none of us wanted the shot . we needed the shot to cross the border . we lost our deposits . I thought the trip insurance would have helped us out , I guess not . thanks for mentioning this .

Coronavirus has been making preference points come down out west cuz all these people canceling their hunting plans.....

My point about travel was directed toward insurance. I had a "no fault" policy, cancel for any reason . I have been 6 weeks, three appeals and no result..
There are three well know companies involved , names available.
The health risk is separate issue. I am a MD when not hunting. My major concern traveling and hunting is camp. 6 or 8 strangers in a confined area and no immunization policy is out of the question. Truck and a motel all doable so far.
Everyone make thoughtful decisions, just like hunting a bad would could cost a lot.

My plans did not change other than my older hunting partner won't be going due to some prostate tests/concerns. So I'll be solo for a week-10days hunting muley and birds in NE MT.

The COVID virus "did" affect our deer hunting trip last year, and....we didn't bother trying this year due to last year's event that I will explain!! My son and I had located an outfitter who we wanted to go with for a deer hunt in Maine. We made these plans while we were up bear hunting in Maine and we'd talked a lot about going, and.....of course the COVID issues. I did talk to the outfitter, the hunt was an "all inclusive" hunt meaning all in camp would be eating and gathering together; and....all were going to be strangers to us (like 12 people all total). At the very last minute before making the final call for the booking, and after some strong deliberation we decided to not go; and....COVID did make that decision for us. I'm 75 with heart disease, so the prognosis for me surviving a positive COVID diagnosis "probably" isn't going to be a favorable one. And........one week after the week we were supposed to have booked for the hunt, the young outfitter died from COVID!!! So is the COVID virus affecting us and our decision to hunt yes it is. We wanted to deer hunt this year too, but still do not feel comfortable being exposed to a group of strangers. We did book a bear hunt this past season with the same outfitter that we have booked for the past 4-5 years. But we were the only hunters who they were guiding and we had our own camp where we did our own cooking so we didn't mingle with total strangers for a week.

Last edited:

Recent Posts