Will the 33 PRC ever happen?

Hornady has already looked into it; I have a reamer print dated 2008 for a 338 Hornday Match. It's essentially a 338/300 PRC. PTG sent me that print along with a few other versions of the 338/375 Ruger when I was working on that project around 10 years ago.
[/QUOTE
Isn't there a 33 Sherman????
Yes, but its not out of the closet yet🙂

what do you think they do with the 7? It sure is a crowded field. They nearly need to go small with it, under the 280-7RM, but then it sort of crowds their own offering, the 6.5 PRC. If they go middle, you have 280/AI/.284/7RM/7WSM. They can go large, not too much comp besides .28 Nosler, but not many sales in large mags, either.
This is the exact same scenario they tossed the 300 prc into.

30/06
300wsm
300win
30 nowler
300 weatherby
300 norma

Put it just over the 7 mag, no belt, designed for a 180Eldm and 190 a tip and watch the cash pile up

put it under the 7 mag and make it a "better" version of the 7wsm that no one knows about with a skinnier case and longer neck and that would probably work too

I have mo
This is the exact same scenario they tossed the 300 prc into.

30/06
300wsm
300win
30 nowler
300 weatherby
300 norma

Put it just over the 7 mag, no belt, designed for a 180Eldm and 190 a tip and watch the cash pile up

put it under the 7 mag and make it a "better" version of the 7wsm that no one knows about with a skinnier case and longer neck and that would probably work too
more data coming in on the 28 SM but a client had one built on a Havoc with a 24" barrel and has reached 3300' with 180's. Here is a pic of 4 shots from 4 different loads yesterday.
The top load in this group was at 3295'
54091.jpeg

Don't wait for Hornady and build your own, with maybe an inch longer on the breech side of the barrel, so if Hornady comes up with a slightly different design in 6 months time than originally planed, you can get the new chamber cut at a later stage and your barrel set back.

What brass life do you get?

I average 6 firings per case over the course of a couple thousand rounds total between all the different barrels I've shot. That's with full power loads, but not excessively hot loads. My standard load is a 250gr bullet at around 2675 FPS from an 18" barrel. I don't see the point in pushing a case this size harder when it's very easy to just move up to the RUM or Edge if more power is needed

The 338 Lapua has captured the long rang market for years. If they can come up with a 338PRC it would have to be a game changer.

I don't see a real niche for a 338 PRC as a factory round. The case capacity just isn't there for bullets over around 250gr and a 250gr bullet at 2850-2900 FPS can't compete with some of the high BC bullets and loads in the 30s like the Win Mag or PRC at long range. You'd have to load it to 3.700" to take advantage of the heavier bullets, and at that point you may as well use the standard RUM or Norma Mag.

I average 6 firings per case over the course of a couple thousand rounds total between all the different barrels I've shot. That's with full power loads, but not excessively hot loads. My standard load is a 250gr bullet at around 2675 FPS from an 18" barrel. I don't see the point in pushing a case this size harder when it's very easy to just move up to the RUM or Edge if more power is needed

I don't see a real niche for a 338 PRC as a factory round. The case capacity just isn't there for bullets over around 250gr and a 250gr bullet at 2850-2900 FPS can't compete with some of the high BC bullets and loads in the 30s like the Win Mag or PRC at long range. You'd have to load it to 3.700" to take advantage of the heavier bullets, and at that point you may as well use the standard RUM or Norma Mag.
I disagree.

More than a 338WM but less than a 338 Lapua.

I don't want a Lapua/Norma bolt face. I've got a Trued Remington 300WM that was built off a 700SS RUM action originally.

To me this makes more sense than the RUM/Edge due to the efficiencies.

It doesn't do Edge but it also doesn't Burn the Edge quantity powder.

I'm interested in a 270-300 class bullet out of a 26-28" barrel.

I disagree.

More than a 338WM but less than a 338 Lapua.

I don't want a Lapua/Norma bolt face. I've got a Trued Remington 300WM that was built off a 700SS RUM action originally.

To me this makes more sense than the RUM/Edge due to the efficiencies.

It doesn't do Edge but it also doesn't Burn the Edge quantity powder.

I'm interested in a 270-300 class bullet out of a 26-28" barrel.
My testing a month or so ago with my 33 SM yielded 2800 with 285-300 with a 24" barrel and RL26 I hit pressure with a stiff bolt at 2842.
Several other powders topped out at over 2700 before pressure

My testing a month or so ago with my 33 SM yielded 2800 with 285-300 with a 24" barrel and RL26 I hit pressure with a stiff bolt at 2842.
Several other powders topped out at over 2700 before pressure
That's about what I expected. I hit pressure at 2740 fps with the 285gr ELDm with Reloader 26 from my 18" barrel. That was loading them pretty long since my gun is a single shot.

I don't think there's any real advantage to shooting 285/300gr bullet at 2800 fps, compared to a 250gr bullet at 2900-2950 fps.

one thing about the PRC case is glaringly evident ..... It really, really .... really makes the 30 & 33 Noslers shine like diamonds in a sun storm ...... in any bullet diameter for that matter ...... on top of that, the shorter case length allows for more powder with longer high bc bullets ....

one thing about the PRC case is glaringly evident ..... It really, really .... really makes the 30 & 33 Noslers shine like diamonds in a sun storm ...... in any bullet diameter for that matter ...... on top of that, the shorter case length allows for more powder with longer high bc bullets ....
So you believe the Nosler case is a better mousetrap than the 300 PRC?