Will my M-77 be good enough?

Kyle

I like Rugers and I was wondering will my M-77 in .338 topped with a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10 44mm wil work for long range animal hunting?
wink.gif
Thank you.

Hello

The straight 338 Win mag in a factory configuration is not a longrange round because;

1. The round is not large enough to shoot the higher BC bulets needed to reach out and at the speed that is needed for the LR shot.

2. Factory barrels are usually no longer then 22" to 24" and you just can't get the velocity to reach out further and with addiditon velocity that the longer barrels do.

3. Now it depends on what you call Longrange?
If your shot is 100, 200, 300 yards you would be OK.

4. Check all the ballistic charts to see what your velocity is and figure your drop from there. You can then see what your bullet is capable of at extended range.

5. To me, a 300 yard shot would be about it, with that outfit. On the total outside with a good clickable scope and a hot load and decent bullet, a 500 yd shot is possible but, I wouldn't want to attempt it very often on a large animal such as elk.

6. Do you handload for your 338? If factory ammo is what you use, stay at a 300 yd max at all times.

DC

Hello

The straight 338 Win mag in a factory configuration is not a longrange round because;

1. The round is not large enough to shoot the higher BC bulets needed to reach out and at the speed that is needed for the LR shot.

2. Factory barrels are usually no longer then 22" to 24" and you just can't get the velocity to reach out further and with addiditon velocity that the longer barrels do.

3. Now it depends on what you call Longrange?
If your shot is 100, 200, 300 yards you would be OK.

4. Check all the ballistic charts to see what your velocity is and figure your drop from there. You can then see what your bullet is capable of at extended range.

5. To me, a 300 yard shot would be about it, with that outfit. On the total outside with a good clickable scope and a hot load and decent bullet, a 500 yd shot is possible but, I wouldn't want to attempt it very often on a large animal such as elk.

6. Do you handload for your 338? If factory ammo is what you use, stay at a 300 yd max at all times.

DC

300 yds would be it for me.Mostly whitetails but maybe an occaisional moose,elk,or bear.I do noy handload for it though my Uncle Mike will.He likes Sierra game kings 250 grns over IMR-4350 what grains of powder I don't know.Thanks

I use a tang safety Ruger m77 in .338win. It fires a 250gr gameking at 2720 ft/sec with 69.0gr of IMR 4350. It shoots an average group of .75" at 100y and sometimes .5". I have a Leupold Vari X-II 3-9x 40mm on it. I have also just picked up a Ruger m77 mk2 in 30-06 that shoots just under an inch with factory win 150gr silvertips. Rugers can be a not at all bad rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.