Will Badger "zero cant" base get me to 500-600 yards.

pc

Will Badger \"zero cant\" base get me to 500-600 yards.

I have a rem 700 .243 coming and it will have a 8.5-25 leupold on it, I have badger rings on the way and ordered a badger zero cant of non 20 moa base..........have I made a mistake not getting the 20 moa model, I only want to shoot to 500-600 yards tops with this set up.

Being in Australia it's a pain in the behind to send it back etc.

Re: Will Badger \"zero cant\" base get me to 500-600 yards.

Pc,

Will you be using the Mark 4 or the V-X III? The Mk 4 will easily take you to 600 yards with its 72 moa of verticle adjustment. The standard will probably as well but not as easily.

What load are you using?

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,

It will be the Vari X 111.

To be honest with a .243 500 Yards for me will be a long way so I would be happy with that. I want a .300 RUM to do some extended varminting.

The bullet I want to use is the 70 gr Nosler Ballisitc Tip I want this to be an honest 500 yard fox rifle.

For me I feel like 500 yards is bloody long way at any rate !!

Something to consider:

If I remember correctly its about 7-8 MOA from 100 to 500yds which is not much for any scope. From 100 to 1000yds is about 25-30 MOA. Once you have conquered 500yds you will find it irressitible to go out further with the 243. If you set up the scope the first time with enough MOA to get to 1000 yds by shimming the rear base with ABINOK coke can equation (or red bull if you are inclined) then you will not have to do what I just did and 10 years later take the scope, rings, and bases off and reset the whole contraption. It may be that you do not have to shim at all and everything will just fall into place and you will have enough adjustment without any shim. It all just depends how the inital alignment of reciever, barrel, etc.

In no way am I implying that you have the wrong base, I am just implying that the lure of 1000 yds is more irressitible than you think and some extra care now will take care of the future. Of course, you can always do it the hard way like I did.

In all of this try to stay away from the very bottom of the scope adjustment and the very top of the scope adjustment and the far left and far right.

You should be fine well past 500 yards with that set up.

I agree with Buffalobob in that once you shoot enough at 500 you will naturally want to go farther. Get a system that will stretch things out.

You should really be easily capable of shooting out to the 1/2 mile mark but I would recommend a different bullet with a bigher BC to control wind drift at these extended ranges. 500 yards, the 70 gr BC will perform well but if its breezy you will still get blown around a bit.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I don't know if you saw the posts me and Bill Bailey had about us shooting prairie dogs past 1000yds. We used a 105 a-max bullet and it really bucks the wind and still blows up pretty good at this long range. Hornady recommends a
1-9 twist barrel to shoot these. You might wanna give them a try.

Good Luck
Steve

Folks thanks for all the help. It was to late to change my order at Brownells so I have a 0 cant badger base on the way...........but I have also ordered a .300 RUM rem 700 so that will be come my "past 500 yards gun"and that will definitely get the 20 moa badger base. I think that will make a g00d rifle for past 500 yards.

The suggestion of the 105 gr A-Max is good..........but I have to churn through 250x 70 gr nosler Ballsitic tips first. I wonder what twist my rem 700 .243 will have ??

speaking from experience, the RUM is a lot of hard hitting, vermin detonating fun at 500 yards. I still need to get a hit out further but it will happen. If you are always going to have hearing protection when you shoot the RUM I recommend a muzzle break, especially if you plan on shooting prone.

Sasquatch,

I think I will add weight and a break to the .300 RUM as it will be primarily used over the bonnet of the ute. I reckon it will be a hell of a lot of fun !!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.