will a banish 46 cover all guns?l

wyoduster

Looking at buying a Banish 46 just to be able to use it on my 416 WM or my 350 Legend What do you think ? I know nothing about these.

Caliber-wise yes it will allow the bullets to pass through. With suppressors the issue is pressure, which is normally shown as a barrel length rating for a given chambering. It's not always what you would expect either, a 5.56mm SBR can be much harder on a suppressor than a longer barreled magnum rifle. SC doesn't seem to list any barrel lengths, which means might be a truly unlimited can (SiCo Chimera is unlimited, very blatantly described as such in their advertising info). The Banish 46 is a tube design with an Iconel blast baffle and the rest is titanium, they might tell you no restrictions because honestly the thing is built like a tank.

In general though for chamberings not listed on the spec sheet it's best to confirm with the manufacturer. Since it's a tube design rated up to 338 LM it would be logical to assume it could handle those, but call to be sure.

Another question: Do I have to run permits for each and every suppressor or just one ...?
Simple answer yes, you have to pay for a $200 stamp for each and every item.

More specifically you don't have to have a "permit", you pay an excise tax on the transfer of each item into your possession. So you get a Form 4 with tax stamp on it saying that the transfer was valid and paid for, and that form/stamp is your proof you're allowed to possess the item.

That's why this whole system (per the courts, don't hate me for saying it out loud here) doesn't run afoul of 2A - the 1934 Act put a tax on transfers of certain items, not on actually owning the items. The 1986 Act said no more of certain items (machine guns) could be added to the registry for transfer, but pre-1986 items can still be transferred.

Last edited:
I would look at the Mfg pressure recommendations for specific rounds. I have a 9mm hybrid that is rated to support up to a 338LM. I also have a SilencerCo hybrid 46 in ATF jail to cover a lot of crossover like the Banish does. While a large bore hybrid would likely be acceptable for a most of your needs, you will likely end up like me finding new excuses for gaps that need to be filled. I find for example that purpose built pistol cans do better there (smaller and lighter). I've also found that extreme sub caliber isn't as quiet as a round closer to the bore of the can itself. QD adapters like on some of these hybrids also add length and weight to the can.

Is there a reason some suppressors are $1300. and there are others that are $399. I realize titanium vs steel but do they all do the same thing??

Sure, they all make the gun somewhat quieter. Just like cars all get you to the same place, but some guys drive trucks and some drive Hyundai's. All the little details matter. An 8oz full sized all-Ti tubeless suppressor takes a lot more work to make, the last few ounces cost a lot more to save than the first pound does.

Also you're buying something that you're stuck with to the tune of a $200 tax stamp, this isn't where I felt like going cheap and ending up with a paperweight and having to pay for another stamp when the cheap one has problems or gets damaged and has to be replaced vs a company like TBAC can re-core their models.

And I'm definitely not saying the "cheap" ones in terms of lower cost are by any means bad, there's not always a correlation between cost, quality, and function. I have a lot of cans, some cost a lot more than others, and all the ones I have work to fill some requirement. I personally don't have a requirement than any of the lower cost aluminum cans fill better than other options. I went for lightweight for hunting cans, and modularity for AR cans. I went with companies with good QC and customer service track records. I went for lighter weight, better mounting options, certain materials, certain types of construction. Lots of little details that matter to me, maybe they don't mean jack to someone else.

Until the latest Form 1 kerruffle I was all set to paper up a homemade Ti can that would have cost a third of what a TBAC cost because it was going to go on the end of a 300 BLK SBR where I don't need more than 4 inches of can to make that gun as quiet as it's going to be. I also run a top-of-the-line TBAC flagship suppressor on a bolt action 300 BLK because I happened to have a brake mount that fit the barrel threads. It really is as personal a decision as what kind of vehicle you drive.

I think the Banish 46 checks a lot of very important boxes - solid company, longevity, history of QC and customer service, unlikely to fold up during the wait time on the Form 4, likely to be around long term for service, known build quality. Lots of positives. Some short term negatives of maybe their process isn't as polished as Silencer Shop, in a year it won't matter either way. Get the Banish 46, dip your toe into the waters, if you like it join us debating the nuances. If it isn't life-changing, at the end of the day you have a quality can that should last you a very long time and be worth the investment.

Is there a reason some suppressors are $1300. and there are others that are $399. I realize titanium vs steel but do they all do the same thing??
Raw materials, mfg process/feature set, and QC. So titanium or inconel is more expensive than 17-4, more intricate baffle designs or a QD feature would drive up cost, and QC will always drive up costs but theoretically you'll end up with a known good qty.

Back to what the other guy said you'll likely cover all your bases with the one 46 cal suppressor, as in it will physically allow the rounds to pass through and it will trap some of the hot gasses providing some suppression, but it will not be optimal for all cases and may not be satisfactory to you in some use cases.