will a 7mm work for me?

Now this thread is going no where. I never intended for this to turn into such a "nuh uhh, yeah huh, nuh uhh" thread.

On of my favorite books is Bryan Litz's "Applied Ballistics for Long range shooting". Great book and being a "short range shooter" I learned a lot about the basics of long range shooting. He "recommends" that the only thing suitable bullet for game over 600 pounds is a .338 (with large case capacity such as a .338 weatherby (which is the example he uses) with a 300gr VLD bullet.)) I call ********. That is his opinion just as this is our opinion. We cant tell you what is best suited for your needs. I can tell you that the 7mm may not be the best cartridge suitable.. but will it work?! To answer your primary question. WILL IT WORK? I firmly believe it will.

Back to Litz's book. In all of his lethality charts he never once recommends a .308 bullet for ANY large game over 550 yards. Im sorry but his recommendation will just remain a recommendation. People have killed bear with .300win/wby/rum for a long time and I dont think a .338 300gr VLD is a must for your situation! But its only a recommendation. For all those who have the book you can reference back to page 259 to see the lethality charts and see that the only bullet that is "RECOMMENDED" is the BVLD300gr for such a situation like yours. I once again call ********. Some of his lethality charts are alittle on the wimpy side if you ask me. For example (His .270 small case capacity lethality chart) He recommends never shooting any large animal over 150 yards when hunting with the 150VLD'S! Are you serious! I would feel comfortable to atleast 300 yards with a .270!

But like I said.. all these are recommendations just as the ones we are giving you. You can sit here all day and listen to us bicker about who is right, and what is bull ****, and what will work. But If I were you i would go hunting. Take a large caliber side arm, and your 7mm and have fun. Go out and plug a grizzly or a moose, or a black bear... and prove ONE of use wrong. Which one of us you prove wrong is up to you :D
I 100% agree. These 30 cal lovers don't understand BC, range and sectional density. If they did they would look at the superiority of the 7mm and 338 cal. I do not think all books and science, research is false.
Biased opinions are false. For all that state a 30 cal mag is better, have you ever anchored a grizz? Have you ever hunted big bear? Ot do you play internet warrior and read others opinions that have the same internet warrior experience as you. My wife anchored her third bear with a 140 gr 7mm bullet out of a 7mm08. Bullet placement and practice

I 100% agree. These 30 cal lovers don't understand BC, range and sectional density. If they did they would look at the superiority of the 7mm and 338 cal. I do not think all books and science, research is false.
Biased opinions are false. For all that state a 30 cal mag is better, have you ever anchored a grizz? Have you ever hunted big bear? Ot do you play internet warrior and read others opinions that have the same internet warrior experience as you. My wife anchored her third bear with a 140 gr 7mm bullet out of a 7mm08. Bullet placement and practice
Good old thread revival idahoelk....I enjoyed reading the opinions and such of the other posters. I just wanted to update you guys, I haven't yet made the jump to anything other then the trusty 30-06 and 7.62 rifles I own. I did take a young grizzly last year with my 7.62x54, it was only about 200 yard out though in the trees.

Plenty of caribou since then with my .30-06. Haven't run into the issue of being out of range yet, most of the time I am able to wait for them to come into range.

Don't laugh, but I use my PSL with iron sights most of the time in the willow brush. I actually used the cash I had saved for a 7mm platform in 2011 and bought up a couple cases of 50bmg a store in the city was liquidating. I will probably make that jump to a bigger rifle once I get some extra cash for a good rifle/scope.

Even though this thread is almost two years old and you might not get responses because of that, I am still going to get my popcorn ready...

I'm a big 7mm fan....I got your back.

I know this is an old thread, but the OP was looking at the 7RUM......Why? That's just gonna burn the hell out of a barrel in about 1,000 shots. Why not weigh all the other options. You said 500-600 yards max and seemed worried that the 7Mag wouldn't be able to perform at that range? I am just curious as to what would make you think it wouldn't be up to the task? You could kill most anything with a 7mm-08 at those ranges. The 7mm RemMag (magnum case) and .280 Ackley Improved (standard case) will both carry you out to 1,000 barely breaking a sweat, and if you went with a 7mm-300 WinMag, 7mm STW, or 7mm RUM you could really reach on out there a good bit beyond 1,000 yards.

I'm a big 7mm fan....I got your back.

I know this is an old thread, but the OP was looking at the 7RUM......Why? That's just gonna burn the hell out of a barrel in about 1,000 shots. Why not weigh all the other options. You said 500-600 yards max and seemed worried that the 7Mag wouldn't be able to perform at that range? I am just curious as to what would make you think it wouldn't be up to the task? You could kill most anything with a 7mm-08 at those ranges. The 7mm RemMag (magnum case) and .280 Ackley Improved (standard case) will both carry you out to 1,000 barely breaking a sweat, and if you went with a 7mm-300 WinMag, 7mm STW, or 7mm RUM you could really reach on out there a good bit beyond 1,000 yards.

Pretty well my exact thoughts

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts