will a 7mm work for me?

revvystroke

I am from Northern Alaska, I hunt brown and black bears, caribou and moose on the open tundra. Sitting on the tundra you have 5+ miles visibility. My only rifles are chambered in 7.62x54 and .30-06. I want a rifle that I can use to reach out a little farther then my .30-06. I want something that shoots relatively flat. In the winter I haven't had much luck with rangefinders, probably due to the combination of snow, ice glare and sub -20 temps.

Will a 7mm win mag cut it out to 5-600 yards or should I look at rifles in 7mm RUM?

I am from Northern Alaska, I hunt brown and black bears, caribou and moose on the open tundra. Sitting on the tundra you have 5+ miles visibility. My only rifles are chambered in 7.62x54 and .30-06. I want a rifle that I can use to reach out a little farther then my .30-06. I want something that shoots relatively flat. In the winter I haven't had much luck with rangefinders, probably due to the combination of snow, ice glare and sub -20 temps.

Will a 7mm win mag cut it out to 5-600 yards or should I look at rifles in 7mm RUM?
300 RUM would be more appropriate than either of the sevens but if you are stuck on 7mm the Rum would be the best bet.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably think long and hard about the .338 Win or .338 RUM.

With the big, thick/heavy bodied critters out there the .300's and .338's just make more sense because they can deliver more energy and penetration at any range.

for the terrain your talking I would step to a .300 RUM or a .338 RUM. The 7mm Rem Mag isnt a bad choice but your talking the large end of the big game spectrum. I love my .338 RUM, I use it so much I got rid of most of my other rifles. I know that the bears up there get big and the moose are world class, the winds can also be world class in which case the .338's will buck the wind best.

If you ask me its a no-brainer... .338 RUM!

theres a fellow selling a .338 RUM remington Senduro in the classifieds on this site right now. it would be a gooder!

Thanks guys I'll read up on the 338 mag. I lost a couple brown bears this season, that were a couple miles away, I stalked them to within 1000 yards but the wind shifted and they turned tail.

Every parameter you've plugged into the equation is extreme! Any advantage you can obtain take it. I wouldn't say the big 7's won't work, but I think the reasoning behind the big 338 recommendations are sound.

If you hand load check out the 338 Edge otherwise go for the 338 ultra. Put a brake on it and it won't be bad the shoot. The critters are big up there and in some cases can eat you so go with the biggest you can shoot accurately. The 338 has a great bullet selection and you can make those long shots with great energy when it gets there. A 7 mag is not enough gun for a long range moose.

I wouldnt think of a 7mm on a bear unless it was in self defense! And personally..as far as the short magnums..regardless of its a RUM or a WSM....I dont want either. Where you say your located...you cant run down to the local "WallMart" and buy weird ammo. Id use a .338 Winchester Magnum...you know..the REAL 338 Mag. With a 20 pack of some top notch factory ammo in one coat pocket and a pack of some real super heavies in another pocket...THEN Id be ready to hunt large bears

Did bear all of a sudden get a lot tougher than they were in the old days? Ive seen bear killed with a 270. Jack oconnor killed bear with a .17 javelina... I dont know everyone thinks you have to have a tank to kill a bear. I will admit that at longer ranges a tank might be necessary, but Bear cant see for ****. I think you could easily get into range without being spotted if you wanted to use a 7mm. I say go for it! Im a huge .300 win/wsm/rum fan but you choose to go with a 7mm there is nothing wrong with that if you ask me...

Somebody always has to dig up Jack....If I was going to get drunk and shoot holes in my foot I'd favor smaller calibers also. If he was alive today Outdoor Life would be sending him to celebrity rehab with Lindsey and the rest of them!

Somebody always has to dig up Jack....If I was going to get drunk and shoot holes in my foot I'd favor smaller calibers also. If he was alive today Outdoor Life would be sending him to celebrity rehab with Lindsey and the rest of them!

HA!! love it!

And ishootkittens, Brown bear are tough and a big job, especially at LR. Im a carpenter and when I go to dig a foundation, I use and excavator. A shovel works... kinda. Jack O'Connor can shovel all he wants, Im using an excavator. especially when the hole bits back.

HA!! love it!

And ishootkittens, Brown bear are tough and a big job, especially at LR. Im a carpenter and when I go to dig a foundation, I use and excavator. A shovel works... kinda. Jack O'Connor can shovel all he wants, Im using an excavator. especially when the hole bits back.

I believe the primary question was... will a 7mm WORK for me..And just as you stated "A shovel works..." SO WILL A 7mm...It may not be an excavator (338, 300rum, etc) but "A shovel works..." :D

I believe the primary question was... will a 7mm WORK for me..And just as you stated "A shovel works..." SO WILL A 7mm...It may not be an excavator (338, 300rum, etc) but "A shovel works..." :D
I don't think you'll find a guide in AK who would allow much less recommend you take shots at big browns at long range with a 7mm Rem.

It's a simple matter of physics and the 7mm Rem Mag simply lacks the energy and penetrating power to gurantee a kill even when properly placed at long range.

Maybe our definition of long range is different then. He said 500 yards. I think a 7mm with the right bullets and shot placement is plenty for what he wants it to do...If its a guided hunt in the middle of the tundra, im sure the guide could get him closer to a brown bear. Everyone knows bear cant see for ****.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.