Will a 10" twist work in a .338 Norma?

sdowney

I've read on this site that the ideal is a 9.3" twist barrel. I found an in-stock barrel with 10" twist. What am I giving up by going with the slightly slower twist rate?

It's going to go on a 24" #5 or #6 with 300 gr Bergers (if they shoot) or SMKs.

Thanks guys!

The faster twist is for longer range stability. It depends on how far you want to shoot. First figure out how far you intend to shoot, then figure out what the velocity will be at the longest distance, and then enter it in the stability calculator below. Dont forget to figure some velocity drop for the colder conditions during hunting seasons.
JBM - Calculations - Stability

I tried it out for a 300 otm@ 2725,25 degress,1-10,gave me1.527 green light

You have to input impact velocity. So say you want to shoot 1400 yds and the velocity is down to 1400fps. Enter the impact velocity and see if it will be stable.

He's not gonna shoot too many 1400 yd shots with those whispy barrels. They work pretty good in 30 but when you jump up to 338 it's a different world. If you are building a true hunting rifle for 338 then your choices of contour are on the money. If you are building a LR rig I would seriously consider up sizing the tube over a 5 or 6. Yes a 10 twist will get it done. You barrel is a little short in the 338 for top velocities but then again if you are building a true hunting rifle a 24 would work, though I would still go with a 26'' tube.,

1-10 will work fine, a 1-11 works also. I've heard of but never witnessed a 1-12 will work. The 9.3 came about to allow shooting subsonic ammo. One other thing Sg, gyroscopic stability, increases as velocity decreases because the velocity decays at a much higher rate than the rotational spin rate. The suggestion of using the impact velocity is wrong because of the different rates of decay.

Dave

You have to input impact velocity. So say you want to shoot 1400 yds and the velocity is down to 1400fps. Enter the impact velocity and see if it will be stable.

Your link did not show that? I filled fields and was good.Any way I have a 1.975,300 otm@ 2725-50.And have had descent hits at 1400. 26'' ABS tube

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.