Will 30-284 WIN give more ooph?

No Fear in Accuracy

I own a rare Remington Model 788 Left-Handed, 6mm Remington. I'm planning to replace the factory barrel to the custom barrel, probably 1.0" dia. all the way out to the muzzle, and 28-30" in length. Also add McMillan Tooley stock to it. My next choice of caliber would be 6.5-284.

I'm planning to use it for close range, moose and black bear hunting so I thought maybe it would be better if I neck it up to 30 cal. to give more ooph. The 240gr SMK might be too heavy for 284 cartridge, do you agree? I probably would choose 190gr SMK. How's that? Still too heavy?
My other cartridge for long range would be 338 Tomahawk. It will only stay on the bench.

What is your suggestion? Thanks to all,
-Denny

if you have a rare 788( I agree that original Left hand 788 are VERY rare ) perhaps better to sale the rifle a good price and to purchase a REM 700 long action ( LH if you need )

6.5/284 is good but with case family problem between WIN and other brand ( not the same base dia ) and costly case

6.5/06 do the same in long action for less money .

30.284 do nothing more no thing less than a 30.06 ( same water capacity ).

Good shooting

DAN TEC

Agree with comments made about better calibers. If close range and moose and bear, 338-06 might be better choice. Easily goes 250-300 yds accurately with bigger bullets in standard length action only 200 fps slower than 338 win mag.

Why Tooley MBR on "close range" gun? That is 1000 BR stock for shooting from front rest. Not to mention cannot shoot in "field" real easy. If true field hunting gun, need better choice in stock. You really are talking a traditional style stock to some degree.

Might consider tapered barrel instead of straight. Most have found tapers are easier to tune due to harmonics and shoot just as well as straight, less weight on short remington tenon. Look at # 5-7 contour barrels finished out to 24-26" for what you are talking about.

Bounty Hunter

Your post is a little confusing. You stated the primary use will be close range big game hunting. This would necessitate a typical hunting rifle configuration in both barrel and stock. The 6.5-284 is a specialty long range round, best suited for target work (although of course kills very well). For your needs, the 338-06 mentioned above would be ideal. A factory Winchester in 300WSM would be a good choice if you want something new.
For your purpose, I would leave the Remington alone and just buy a factory rifle in a standard 30 or 338 caliber.

a simple sendero can do the job in 300 WIN MAG but I think that :

for close range a good used savage 110 in 30/06 with 200 gr bullet cost 250 $ and is far good enought for hunting

and put money in a real thing name long range rifle in a real long range rifle chamber in a long range caliber

very difficult to get a multi purpose rifle between close range and 1000 yards

Good shooting

DAN TEC

Denny

Man, if this is going to be your "close" range gun, I hate to see how heavy your Tomahawk is going to be. Anyhow, I am building a 338-284 on a Ruger "tang safety" action. This is meant to be a "mountain" rifle of sorts, and weigh-in under 7lbs, about half of what you are talking about buiding. The only reason I went with the 338-284 was because I am building on a short action (though they are longer than the remington short action), and I can get 338-06 ballistics from it. Otherwise I would have went with the 338-06. Your gun will weigh about 15lbs, so why worry about building on a short action. I would, as everyone said above, buy a long action and build something I really wanted.

Jim

Yeah, I thought about it and it would be best to sell Model 788 and buy a long action rifle. I believe it will be a good deal because the gun dealer told me that the 6mm Rem. one-row magazine is very hard to find and is worth $50 to $100 each.

300 WIN and 30-06 are not in my list. There is nothing wrong with these calibers. They are common cartridges. I want something new and unique like 30-284, 300WSM, hopefully 338WSM, so on.
I like to hear other traditional hunters, saying "What the heck is that?, What is it?, I ain't seen something like that...so on."

That narrows my decision and thanks for your input. I hope this gun and Tomahawk will be ready by next summer.

-Denny

Good choice with the 300 or 7mm WSM. Pick a Win Coyote in either and you will be extremely happy. Do a bedding and trigger job and good out to min of 600-800 depending on how you work loads up, scope and you most of all. Put Burris signature rings ($50)with insert kits on it and you have up to 30 MOA built in and can take out.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.