Will 277 Fury have 165gr option?

steffen707

If the Nosler 27 will have a 165gr Accubond, i'm wondering if its just a matter of time before the 277 Fury will also try this grain bullet, given it has the same 1:8.5" twist rate as the 27 nosler. Yes the 27 Nosler will have much more powder behind it, but the 277 operating at 25% higher chamber pressure.....

I know the 277 Fury Cross guns and 140gr ammunition isn't even out yet (or at least I cant find any) but it was just a thought.

One more thing that i'm curious about, the new 6.8 Western Winchester has a 8 twist, but the Browning xbolt will have a 7.5 twist. So what twist is required to actually stabilize a 165gr 277 caliber projectile? 8.5, 8, 7.5?

The beauty of the Fury is 270 WCF performance in a compact package.

If you want to have a "270" with high performance and are willing to have a 9 pound all up rifle with a 26" bbl, there are easier choices than the Fury.

The utter glut of cartridges that do nothing that has not already been done will lead to a lot of problems in the future. Meanwhile enjoy your 5mm rimfire, 307/356 Winchester, 6.5/350 Rem Mag, SAUMs, RCMs, WSMs and on and on.

When someone PROVES to me I cannot kill anything I want to with my 300 Weatherby, I'll listen.

I won't even get into the fact that there are VERY few of us who can hit a 9" pieplate at 1000 yards, from real world field positions, first shot, every time "out among them".

Within the range envelope of a 270 WCF (what the Fury is) a well designed 140 gr bullet will do anything you could need.

Remember, the spec called for penetrating modern body armor at 500 meters. I've yet to see an Elk wearing body armor.

Within the range envelope of a 270 WCF (what the Fury is) a well designed 140 gr bullet will do anything you could need.

Remember, the spec called for penetrating modern body armor at 500 meters. I've yet to see an Elk wearing body armor.
that does make sense. So if the 277Fury is shooting 3000fps out of 16" barrel, and I shoot a 270wsm with 3280fps muzzel out of a 24" barrel, but instead out of a 16" barrel and am able to also get 3000fps from a 140gr acubond.......

both of these should be on par with each other if the BC of the bullets is the same?

I realize there are a ton of other factors out there I didn't discuss.

What i'm getting at is: The Fury seems like a short barreled 270 that shoots higher pressures from a smaller 308 case with similar performance to what a 270wsm would produce with a larger cartridge if you chopped the barrel.

Unfortunately for me, i haven't found any 16" 270wsm data, the 277 fury isn't out yet in public hands either, so its just "bench talk/pondering" for me now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.