Wildcatting by changing a bushing only

Punisher

Has anyone ever changed only the bushing in a FL sizing die to neck a cartridge down

I want to keep the same length and same or similar shoulder angle but go down about .040". I. Will likely have to have the dies custom made for this Eve abuse the body size of the parent cartridge takes a larger than standard die body.

feel free to share any experience here.

Has anyone ever changed only the bushing in a FL sizing die to neck a cartridge down

I want to keep the same length and same or similar shoulder angle but go down about .040". I. Will likely have to have the dies custom made for this Eve abuse the body size of the parent cartridge takes a larger than standard die body.

feel free to share any experience here.
So I do not misconstrue what you are trying to accomplish. You want to lengthen the neck by .040" but leave the chambering "as-is," or since you will have a custom die made, a custom reamer will be too? Sorry just making sure I understand you correctly. Cheers!

So I do not misconstrue what you are trying to accomplish. You want to lengthen the neck by .040" but leave the chambering "as-is," or since you will have a custom die made, a custom reamer will be too? Sorry just making sure I understand you correctly. Cheers!
I want to reduce the diameter of the neck by .040".

I'm going to take a .375 and neck it to .338.

Yes you can do it, only problem you might have is reducing it enough down at the neck shoulder junction.
I do it on 223 brass down to 20 cal for a 20 Practical, I wouldnt try it in one step you will probably crush the necks .020 at a time would be better.

you could use the bushings but you will most likely need 5-6 bushings to do it. the bushings can only do .005-.008 at a time. you can use the Hornady neck dies and go from 375 to 338 with one die if you go slow.

People do it all the time up and down. Such as a 30-28 nosler. Just need to anneal and trim, as long as the main cartridge is the same it's not that hard to do as long as you are not going crazy in any direction. A .374 to 338 might take a couple bushings and steps. What's the parent case?

I want to reduce the diameter of the neck by .040".

I'm going to take a .375 and neck it to .338.
OK, now I am tracking. It looks like you're in good hands now. If the above recommendations do not work for you, consider a hydraulic forming die ...

They are a little pricey, but they work great on my wildcat cartridge. Good luck!

It's easier to go up in neck size... don't suppose that there's an 8mm version of whatever it is you're playing with that already exists?

You may get by but I think you would have better luck doing it in 2 stages for what you are wanting. I guess you can try a piece and see how it goes

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.