Wildcatting by changing a bushing only

If you only go one size down the bushing dies seem to do very good job on the smaller neck. But as you keep going smaller the shoulder near the neck doesn't get sized back. If you go bigger it works better because you can just drill the hole out as you go up and still get full shoulder setback. As big a jump your doing I would guess that 1/3 of your shoulder next to the neck won't be sized back. This might cause tight bolt closing after 3 or 4 shots. Good luck with your project.
Shep

Forming dies are the easiest solution when necking down, ive made 17 cal brass from straight walled 30 carbine brass 1,000's of 20VT and 20SCC from 223 brass and neck down 6BR to 20 cal for my 20 BRA
Bullberry will make you a doubled ended forming die for about 60.00 all you do is tell them the steps your trying to accomplish.
If you plan on doing very much wildcatting I suggest that route there well worth the money and ease not saying bushings won't work but forming dies will make sure you get all the way down to the neck shoulder junction.

Ive necked from 375 to 338 in one pass. I work it in and out of the die a few time bringing it over the expander each time to help the neck form. Then down to 308 from 338 in one pass working it again. Ive had no issues. I just had to have the proper sizing dies available

OK, now I am tracking. It looks like you're in good hands now. If the above recommendations do not work for you, consider a hydraulic forming die ...

They are a little pricey, but they work great on my wildcat cartridge. Good luck!

Curious how the hydro forming die would be used to just neck up/down. I have one and only though it was for modifying the body of a case, blowing the shoulder and or body out. An example could be an Ackley Improved or my Snipetac.

Curious how the hydro forming die would be used to just neck up/down. I have one and only though it was for modifying the body of a case, blowing the shoulder and or body out. An example could be an Ackley Improved or my Snipetac.
I can neck up a 7MM STW and neck down .375 H&H, 8MM RM, .416 RM, 358 STA, and form .300 H&H (most challenging) for my .30 LARA.

Your hydro die does all the necking? Or you do that in a separate die? I believe he just wants to neck down brass, not alter the body/shoulder.
OP: as others have stated, different mandrels will neck down. The Tubb dies I have are for 33 & 37XC, a change of mandrel is all it takes to go from one to another.

Your hydro die does all the necking? Or you do that in a separate die? I believe he just wants to neck down brass, not alter the body/shoulder.
OP: as others have stated, different mandrels will neck down. The Tubb dies I have are for 33 & 37XC, a change of mandrel is all it takes to go from one to another.
Yes! I understand what he was trying to do (see #13), he is just trying to pre-form so he can fire-form off the new chamber and send the fired brass for his custom reloading and hydraulic forming dies. Cheers!

Last edited:
Only thing else you need to tell them is to have the end of the die angled so it fits your case shoulder so it gets down to the neck shoulder junction.
Mine are all 37 deg so it will even work on a AI shoulder, still will get down far enough just gotta be careful not to go to far and crush the shoulder.
If you have a case your trying to match I put it in the shelldolder and run the ram all the way up screw the forming die down until it touches the lift the handle up and screw the forming die down another 1/16 of a turn and lock down.
If you have cases that need formed down in more than one step i usually do all in one step then go to the last step FL size one and make sure it chambers before I do them all.
One thing about the double ended dies you can put lock rings on when you get them were you want ant its just a matter of screwing them out turning over and down to your lock ring.

I don't see how this downsizing can be done with a bushing die, as they do not size the full length of neck.
I picked up a Lee Six forming die set ~30yrs ago that I use for this. With that & mandrels I can make anything any cal.
Lee Six is not available anymore though.

I don't see how this downsizing can be done with a bushing die, as they do not size the full length of neck.
I picked up a Lee Six forming die set ~30yrs ago that I use for this. With that & mandrels I can make anything any cal.
Lee Six is not available anymore though.
All I can tell you is it works on 223 brass down to 20 cal with a .226 bushing using a 223 Redding FL bushing die.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts