Wildcats vs Traditional Cartridges

Wild Monkey

Not to bash, but why go through the trouble? For years manufacturers have sold us the same old boring selection, and then came the Ultra Mags and Short Mags. Bench shooters have mandated wildcats for years to the point we don't even realize it. Almost any shooting we do can be done with out of the box Ammo, but if I demand a .338 Campfire, or the 6XC, even the 7mm Blaser is a Wildcat still. These Rounds have been around for years and years. Ackley brought us the "Improved" Shoulder Wildcats & we've seen straight wall Cartridges for near a Century, modern Reamer Rentals offer us just about any Wildcat imaginable. Rifle Manufacturers won't even update Barrel twist rates for modern bullets. So it seems the end consumer is left holding the bag full of dull has been's, or is he? Some shooters wear out a barrel in a month, some a lifetime, but for the average Joe the 270 WSM or 6.5 Creedmoor can handle just about any job. I've been wearing the Wildcat blinders for a couple of years now, but you know, I really just don't need one do I? Are we being Hyped into something unnecessary? Remember there is an entire Industry that depends on Wildcat shooters and the lore of custom Rifles.

For me I think it's ocd. I had a 300 prc built because I don't like the fact that the 30 nosler or 300 wm are designed with the bullet not at the optimal seating depth.

Along the same lines I'm building a 6.5SS. Why not a 6.5 prc? Because it's not designed properly for a short action.

Also if no one ever chambered wildcats what would we be stuck with?

I don't think wildcats are necessary with today's options, but they certainly are interesting. If we never had wildcats, we'd never have the 22-250, 25-06, 6.5x284 or any of the other now mainstream cartridges. There's many wildcats that interest me and many of them can fit a personal niche for someone's goals or desires. I don't think however custom rifles are overrated. I'm more of a simple custom rifle guy. A good true factory action with a good custom match grade barrel in a nice bedded stock and a tuned trigger is what I like and think serves 90% of shooters well.

If you have ever modified a "perfectly fine" vehicle, you understand the allure of wildcats. It is the journey that matters. Its a bonus if the destination is better as well.

My only wildcat, in that I can't buy factory ammunition, is a .222 Rem Mag AI. When it came out the Nosler 22 was not announced. Would I do it again now that the Nosler 22 is out. You bet, I learned a lot and have fun knowing I have something special that shoots great. The new Nosler is probably better, but I am OK with the performance of my little mild wildcat.

Kinda like Harleys and Jeeps. You either understand or you don't.

A person can buy their meat in the store, so why bother hunting?
Im not sure why you wouldn't want to hunt, but here are some reasons for doing so.
Most hunted wildlife, including animals and birds, have increased in numbers because of hunters since most of the habitat improvement, regulation, etc., is through state and federal funding, as well as private groups (Rocky mtn. elk foundation) or (look up Pittman/Robertson funds) Money is collected from the sale of ammo, guns, etc to pay for management. Without management, of which hunting is a valuable tool, unhealthy populations can and do develope.
Second
Lots of people are in to Natural, organic, etc., and wild game is a very healthy source of protein and besides, its tastes good!!
Third, because we can and we choose too, just like people choose to kill chickens, cows or PLANTS. You also have the right to choose not too!
Isn't America great!!
Long Range HUNTING Forum👍

Last edited:
The chances that there is a factory rifle with all the attributes that some people want are slim to none, so the wildcat is born. Most wildcats are no better than many factory cartridges In the right rifle, they are just different. Normally a well though out cartridge fills a gap in the performance offered buy factories, so they will have a purpose. Some will out perform any factory offering in their class and in many cases this is the attraction.

Having built and designed many wildcats there is a great amount of knowledge that is obtained from building wildcats that can improve ones understanding of factory cartridges and the reasons behind some of their design, and will be a valuable to aid in the improvement of these cartridges.

Many of the wildcat designs are the basis for the New factory offerings. So wildcats have been responsible for many of the great designs offered by the factories.

Many shooters are not interested in "How" or "Why" something works, just how it performs for their use. Others Like to know "How" and "Why" so they can get the most from their firearm and understand the effects of any change they might want to make. And as said, Have fun doing and
Understanding the differences that a wildcat offers.

There will always be some that will be more than satisfied with factory offerings. and a small majority will always want something different and wildcats fill their needs.

I don't think that ether one by its self will fill the needs of some and they will have and use both.

J E CUSTOM

The chances that there is a factory rifle with all the attributes that some people want are slim to none, so the wildcat is born. Most wildcats are no better than many factory cartridges In the right rifle, they are just different. Normally a well though out cartridge fills a gap in the performance offered buy factories, so they will have a purpose. Some will out perform any factory offering in their class and in many cases this is the attraction.

Having built and designed many wildcats there is a great amount of knowledge that is obtained from building wildcats that can improve ones understanding of factory cartridges and the reasons behind some of their design, and will be a valuable to aid in the improvement of these cartridges.

Many of the wildcat designs are the basis for the New factory offerings. So wildcats have been responsible for many of the great designs offered by the factories.

Many shooters are not interested in "How" or "Why" something works, just how it performs for their use. Others Like to know "How" and "Why" so they can get the most from their firearm and understand the effects of any change they might want to make. And as said, Have fun doing and
Understanding the differences that a wildcat offers.

There will always be some that will be more than satisfied with factory offerings. and a small majority will always want something different and wildcats fill their needs.

I don't think that ether one by its self will fill the needs of some and they will have and use both.

J E CUSTOM

Very well stated Jerry!!

We all win with more options. Improvements over standbys, improvements on the wildcat, all good. Sometimes the hype and claims get to be a little much, but that is the shooting world, it is not changing. Pick what you want, make it work.
Remington abandoned their Saum case, why, no clue. Bigger now than when they marketed it. I am glad I can sort through all the parameters to make a build work w/o worrying about restrictions.

Well stated Jerry . I enjoy shooting and reloading . The brass prep is part of what I enjoy the most . I don't want to play with wildcats but am sure glad that there are people that do otherwise we would still be chucking rocks and sticks . The wildcats have a gap that they fill . I for one am glad to live in the best country in the world with all it's faults we still have the freedom to own firearms and to build wildcats . In the service I went to countries where that wasn't the case

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts