Wildcat Quick Load Question

358sta

My father is having a wildcat rifle finished up in 416 Lapua (338 Lapua necked up to 416 with no other changes). Since there isn't any data out there for this cartridge, I wanted to use Quick Load to give me a starting point for power type (burn speed) and a starting charge.

Now to my question. Since the 416 Lapua isn't in the cartridge database, can I pull up the 338 Lapua cartridge and modify the caliber, cross sectional area, etc. to get some initial data? I know it would be better if I had the Quick Design companion to Quick Load for custom cartridge creation. I'm trying to save the additional $152 cost by doing the way I stated above. Just not sure that my way will give accurate results.

Thanks.
Kevin

I have a 416 wildcat I designed off the 338 Norma Mag case bumped up to a 35 Degree shoulder, my reamer is designed to seat the bullets way out to bottom of the neck, capacity will be pretty close to yours....

I plan on using the 416 Dakota starting loads, it is based on the 404 Jeffery case and is the closest in capacity to your 416 Lapua and my 416 PRO.

Kind of a cross reference to the 338 Edge vs 338 Lapua vs 338 Norma Mag AI

here's where I am at so far with 400 gr bullets, I plan to start with 10% lower than the max loads and work up from there ...

H-4350
max 97.0 gr

IMR 4350
max 95.0 gr

RL-19
max 101 gr

IMR-4831
max 95.0 gr

I hope to work up to 2600 fps and 6000 ft. lbs energy with a 26" barrel..

I haven't received my 416 PRO reamer from PT&G yet but do have my 375 PRO reamer and a Benchmark 30" bbl thats going to the gunsmith this week.

Let me know how your load developement works out as it will most likely be similar to mine and I'm a ways out on my 416 ....

I'd be curious as to what your fire formed case capacity will run. How does a 338 Norma Mag case compare to the 338 Lapua for case capacity? Obviously you are going to gain some by improving it when you neck it up to 35 cal.

I agree with you about using starting loads for the 416 Dakota. QuickLoad shows the 416 Dakota with a case capacity of 115.0 gr. while one of my unfired 416 Lapua cases has 116.5 gr. Very close.

I hope to get 2600 fps with a 400 gr. out of the 416 Lapua and its short 24" barrel. I would be interested to hear what yours does once you have it up and running. My rifle is with the stock maker and probably won't be finished for another 2 or so months. Your 26" barrel will get you more velocity than me.

With all that said, I'm still looking for an answer to my question about using QL for wildcats. I may have to call up NECO, the seller, and ask him. He'll probably suggest purchasing their QuickDesign software where one can create wildcat cartridge drawings and import them into QL for load data generation.

Thanks for chiming in.

Kevin

Last edited:
If you can provide me a cartridge diagram/details, as well as bullet and powders choices, I can put it in QuickDesign and then run some QuickLoad data for you...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.