Wildcat help

barnesuser28

DoubleZRanch and i are working on a wildcat cartridge and need some assistance. We have all the case dimensions down but need someone to figure out what case capacity would be. I had someone help me before and i think he used an RCBS program but i dont recall who it was. If anyone could help please leave a comment or send me a pm and i will get you the dimensions.
Riley

Sorry, I can't help you with calculating case capacity. Are there any details you can share with the wildcat? Maybe just caliber and/or parent case?

Its a .375 cal based off the .505 gibbs case, it will outrun the .375 Allen Mag with a longer neck length.

Riley, I was the person who drew up your original case design for yall on my RCBS program.

I looked, and found that I still had the cartridge drawing saved... I will PM it to you again.

sounds like fun Riley...

the gibbs is a monster case and should give you enough capacity to do very well with heavy 375 cal pills without going bigger than a magnum mauser action...

I've thought about working with the 450/400 case too; I don't know if that would be better than the rums, etc. though...

isn't the 505 gibbs the case the 338 extreme is based off of and that is slower than the 338 AM. mostly due to the weakness of the parent case, just curious how you are going to overcome this?

isn't the 505 gibbs the case the 338 extreme is based off of and that is slower than the 338 AM. mostly due to the weakness of the parent case, just curious how you are going to overcome this?
505 is the parent to lots of things. With stronger made Bertram brass.

505 is the parent to lots of things. With stronger made Bertram brass.
I actually just found out the Gibbs can only take 39,000 psi, so the bertram will fix that? Does the bertram have .210" primer pockets too? Or the original.254"?

I actually just found out the Gibbs can only take 39,000 psi, so the bertram will fix that? Does the bertram have .210" primer pockets too? Or the original.254"?
I have to check what I have. I'm sure the primer pockets are .210"

I hope Swaplord can chime in.

Its a .375 cal based off the .505 gibbs case, it will outrun the .375 Allen Mag with a longer neck length.

also remember that the Gibbs was originally a cordite round and that powder had temp. swing issues that made our worst modern powders look stable. If she ran at 39,000 psi than she was likely good for better than 60,000 psi.

Kirby uses .408 Cheyenne tactical (parent case .505 Gibbs; manufactured by Cheytac, LLC) in his .338 AM and .375 AM and is rated at 63,800 PSI.

yeah thats a modified and redesigned then wildcat. so they took the original case and made it stronger by changing the weak points. So I am curious if riley is going to do that or stick with what is available? I don't know anything about the 505 other than what I have read no actual use of that case.

yeah thats a modified and redesigned then wildcat. so they took the original case and made it stronger by changing the weak points. So I am curious if riley is going to do that or stick with what is available? I don't know anything about the 505 other than what I have read no actual use of that case.

Also, curious on choice of action since it requires a very long OAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts