Wildcat cartridges

rebelcountry27

Members of Longrange hunting, I am wanting to ask a favor from all members here. I am in the process of locating as many wildcat cartridges of any caliber along with a small personal write up of those. Preferrably they be something you mess with, or someone you know. I greatfully ask the help of all members here to assist me in collecting various wildcat rounds.
If you do not mind, and are interested, just PM me.

Thank you
Josh

I would like to build up a small book if you will, something that may be of help to others. The purpose for a dummy round being, that if another person were interested, then it would be a simple task of measuring and going from there. I have a passion for all things strange, particularly wildcat chamberings. To be able to compile as much info as possible on any wildcat.
The few things I would like are of course:
case measurements
Ease of forming, if required
Intended use
Types of actions to be used in
etc.

I am always eager to learn and learn about any and everything related to cartridge design, and to me this would be a huge help not just for me, but I do feel others could gain from it too.

Josh

And please excuse me for coming out without the approval of any mods here, but I did and will always treat any fellow member with utmost respect.

It is always one thing reading about a specific cartridge, but the capabilities of being able to look at it and understand that for a few select people out there, it feels a very useful area. I get about as much enjoyment out of reading about things of that sort as I do messing with them. So please, allow me to continue, if that is fine with all members here

P.O. ackley one of the pioneers of the wildcat cartridge, most notably the improved versions of existing cartridges, has a couple books that you would find very helpful. youll have to look in stores because i dont think that amazon has it on kindle.

I believe he is wanting people to provide information so he can publish his own book.

Ladies and gentlemen, by no means am I asking to receive free information to profit from it. When I said book, it was meant more of compiling info and storing it in that form. I understand that there are many many books out there on the subject, but most are in forms where it is sort of biased. I came here knowing that many people have either created or helped create a plethora of cartridges. I understand I could just as simply buy each and every book out there, but there is not much fun in that. My reasoning for asking here is as follows:

A- to get a better understanding of all the styles and types available today for long range and short range hunting

B- to have a cartridge, not in a picture but in the hand, to show what went into it. But also as a way of offering measurements that are not just read in a book.

C- to get a full unbiased opinion of each that is offered.

There are plenty of other reasons I do ask, but none relating to the thought of trying to make money. That is not my interest, but instead just to further knowledge and gain info not by just reading, but by having said cartridge in hand.

I do sincerely apologize if what I am asking is something I have no reason asking in the first place. I just wanted the oppurtunity to work on something as this

Members of Longrange hunting, I am wanting to ask a favor from all members here. I am in the process of locating as many wildcat cartridges of any caliber along with a small personal write up of those. Preferrably they be something you mess with, or someone you know. I greatfully ask the help of all members here to assist me in collecting various wildcat rounds.
If you do not mind, and are interested, just PM me.

Thank you
Josh
I am working on a .411-284 wildcat and will share a copy of reamer specs. I am shooting the Hawk 350 gr bullet that is 1.170" in length. The water capacity of the formed case is 70.7 gr, and the capacity to the base of the neck is 58.2 grains. COAL is 2.920". I am hoping someone with quick load could run a data sheet for me with Benchmark, and IMR/H 4895 to 56,000 PSI (23" BBL)

Attachments

• 411-284 Moen.pdf
    590.3 KB · Views: 246
dear Rebel country I live in or near Kalispell montana and I know Fred- so one a week I will post one of my many wildcats. by bear rifle and i have many grizzley near my havy ranch in the Stryker montana area.. and a few blacks . OK it is a .......375 on a 63mm case with the sholder pushed forward 40% sholderto mak it a Brown Whelen built ona remington700 adl action with synthetic stock. iget about 2650 with a speer 27O gr bullet using 63-65 gr of Reloader 15 . my primers are fine and they reload real easy. another version

There are som 333 OkH rifles in this area and no bullets for the thing,however it is a good round. sollution for the problem. order bullet sizing dies from lee- two dies a ,335 and a .332 . run the 338 bullet through the first then the 2nd twice and you will get a perfect .338 bullet. I use the 215 serria game king and at .333 the are real good shooters a bit better than the 35 whelen. for lube I use crisco and anything similar will work fine.

C I think the 375 is the largest dia bullet with the 06 case however the 284 casse is a bit larger and it may be large enough for the 411 bullet but you are getting close to headspace problems. I see tath a 411 bullet is. 64 smaller in Dia. than the 284 case and with a 40* sholder you may have enough headspace.. I believe that you can do a 40 cal on the 06 case which is .441 and you case or 284 case is .475 I know on thing for sure the 6.5/284 in a savage 111 the long action is a real good shooter.. your idea is possible.. it should make a Bear stopper..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.