wildcat bullets vs berger?

supercrossbmx69

has anyone used both for hunting? i personally love bergers and have NEVER seen anything walk more than three steps and so far from the few animals ive shot with them they do exactly as advertised and dropped dead in their tracks, but i heard wildcats are alot like them and i like the heavier and higher BC of the wildcats but i couldent find a post on how they work in animals. thanks for your time!

For the past couple of years, I have read a lot of posts of people using them with great success. So my guess is that they work just fine. The only problem I have is trying to find the sight that makes the bullets. I haven't looked in a while. The last time I looked for Wildcat bullets, the sight was under construction.

Tank

ICANHITHIMMAN, the reason i want to know about wildcats is because i heard they hold together at faster velocities and burgers dont, and i like the heavier weights and higher BCs. i just would like to know how they work in animals, meaning if they just expand such as most factory loaded bullets or if the outer shell explodes like the burgers. thanks anyways

Berger bullets and Wildcat bullets perform in a similar fashion if they are similar.
Several factors affect a bullets performance and it is very seldom that you can strike animals the same with different bullets so most conclusions are less than scientific. One should bear in mind that I am talking about high sectional density bullets sometimes known as heavy for caliber.

Both Berger and Wildcat bullets will penetrate a long ways if they do not strike too much bone. Some bone is good for expansion but if you hit a big bull elk exactly square on the massive shoulder bone the bullet will explode as will the bone. If you only hit a rib the bullet will pass on through. Once the bullet has slowed down some after initial expansion it will no longer disintegrate but will retain weight and move a long ways. By accident of frozen fingers, I landed a WC bullet in the rear ham of a cow elk and that bullet went all the way into the chest cavity. I have similarly by deliberate intent put a Berger all the way through two adult hogs standing side by side at 550 yards.

Here is the only WC bullet I have ever recovered. It is a 130 gr HP RBBT in 257 cal. It struck a cow elk in the spine and traveled down the spine crushing vertebrae as it went. Retained weight is 57 grains or 44%. It is hard to see in the photo but it is both jacket and core.

139WC2010elk1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.