Wildcat 338 bullets...

Brent-AR-30-338

Was just wondering if those alum. tips were still in prototype, or in production.. and of course what they run...$

did anyone ever peg a solid b.c. #, last time I read, they were higher than expected.

would the 265gr., or 300 be better in a lapua? (1-10"); probably the 265 right?

thanks...

Latest I have heard right from Richard is that he has drawn up a new tip design which will help with the issues he has been having with these bullets.

Those issues have been:

-Consistantly seating the tips with 0 run out.
-Having the jacket grip the tips securely enough to prevent them from coming loose.
-Getting the step down behind the tip to match up perfectly with the jacket thickness so that he can seat the tips perfectly flush with the end of the jacket with no step up or gap between the two.

It is amazing how inconsistant one lot of jackets can be from one lot to another from many of the jacket makers. AS such, Richard has been working hard to get a contract with Sierra to use their jackets. This will be a huge boost for him and us as well.

Problem is, setting up all the paperwork to get this international contract takes alot of time to get set up.

From what Richard said, the contract has been approved I believe. Now its just a matter of getting the order of jackets in to start building bullets.

Richard has been working on this design for a long time. He has gotten accuracy tests in alot of different barrels, he has had them tested on game, light and heavy game and in chamberings from the 338 Edge up to my 338 AM.

He wants to make sure all the bugs are worked out before offering them to the public so it has taken a bit longer then say a conventional ULD RBBT HP would take to bring to market.

They are coming, Richard is working hard on them. I would expect them by spring if all goes well from the jacket and tip suppliers. If they get Richard what he askes for things will go smooth, if they do not, more beating head against wall.

Kirby Allen(50)

As fa as BC, in my 338 AX and 338 AM, the BC I developed from actual bullet drop were 0.960" in the 338 AX and 0.890" in my 338 AM.

I suspect that the extreme velocity and high RPMs were the reason for the lower BC in the 338 AM as they were being driven to nearly 3500 fps.

Perhaps a 1-11 would be better at these extreme velocity ranges. That said, the bullet was consistant and accurate at these velocities well past 2500 yards.

In the 338 Allen Xpress, I loaded them to 2970 fps and accuracy was very good in my sporter weight rifle. I was using a 1-10 Lilja on that rifle. I think at this velocity, the 1-10 is a better match to this bullet.

This will be a great bullet for the Lapua class rounds when its ready. Remember however, if you take a 300 gr SMK and the 265 gr AT RBBT and seat them both to touch the lands in a 338 Lapua, the 265 gr bullet will have an OAL over 0.200" longer then the SMK load!!!!

I tell my customers that are ordering 338 caliber rifles that they should throat the rifle for the 300 gr bullets and then when the AT RBBTs become ready, they can use them as a single shot. If you throat the rifle for these very long bullets, and decide to use another bullet, you will be seating them VERY deep into the case.

Just something to keep in mind.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

I'm a little confused about the last statement above, if the barrel is throated for the longer bullets why would lighter bullets have to be seated deeper into the case?

I thought it would be the opposite. Wouldn't there be more space in the throat for the shorter/lighter bullets?

Please school me I must be missing something.

Thanks,

John

zunrj5,

the alum tip rbbt's have a longer bearing surface than a 300 smk., just think= a-max vs. smk. The smaller rbbt has a higher bc, as well as bearing length. due to the alum. ballistic tip.

So in the long run, you get a bc higher than a 300 smk, and a velocity that is higher as well...great design.

I really love the 300 smk though... for the price, they cant be beat.

btw, thanks kirby... your info is very respected, imo.

That makes sense. Stupid me thought he was refering to 250 SMK's, scenars, or lighter. I guess I have a one track mind....

What I've been trying to find out is if I set my rifle (TRG) up with a longer throat for the 265s or 300SMKs (single loaded), will I still be able to maintain accuracy with the shorter mag-fed 250's? I'm scared that the jump might bee to much for the shorter bullets.

...by the way I love this site, posts are very informative and helpful. It also seems like the crowd here is much more mature than at other places I've been.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.