Wild sheep foundation and sheep show?

Elkeater

So I'm getting to the point in life that I can start thinking about sheep hunting. I've been putting in for CO for about a decade and started putting in for NV last year. But I'm considering becoming a life member for WSF and attending sheep show each year. Any WSF members here? Folks that go to sheep show? Looking for input on if WSF is worth my time and money.

Thanks

It is what you make of it...I think it is worthwhile.. so Is sheep show. I am a lot more involved in Dallas Safari Club...WSF is a good organization that does a lot of good things--but again--it is what you put into it. If you put in nothing--you will get out very little.

Went to the show,last year in Reno.....
Not much worth wasting the money on....
Saw a few celebrities...the Ralph and Vicki C....
Notice they don't ahow them standing side by side often...
He is really short.......coulent help but laugh.....

So I guess to be a little clearer for me part of it is wanting to just be involved with sheep things. I just think sheep are cool and live in awesome places (a bit partial to desert sheep) so I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of a.) is WSF a quality organization that does good work and b.) is a trip to sheep show fun, a potential way into sheep hunting, and generally good experience for folks interested in sheep stuff?

I think its a great organization. Never been to sheep show in Reno, however, the show in Dallas is pretty impressive with tons of great sheep/goat/mountain game outfitters. Wild Sheep magazine which you get as a member of WSF is a great source of information as well. As mentioned before, your mileage may vary

If you want to be involved in feet on the ground it is a good place to start. I am in Texas Bighorn Society. This is a lot more hands on--and if you want to join I can help you...we do a summer workshop. TBS builds water guzzlers and helps bolster wild sheep habitat in Texas. I am sure the state your in has an organization or a chapter of DSC, SCI, etc...honestly that is the best place to start and get involved.From there you can guide your interest. Not to be crass if you want to hunt sheep--save your money....if you want to be part of something--join a local chapter and start giving back--and WSF is a good place--if that is where you want to give back.

To further answer your question--sheep show is fun, but I think anywhere like minded guys get together it is fun.

I am involved with Desert Bighorn Sheep conservation in California. My organization, the Society for the Conservation of Bighorn Sheep (SCBS), tries to build or replace 2-3 wildlife drinkers a year. We have a group of volunteers that regularly visit and perform maintenance on 95 bighorn sheep drinkers (guzzlers). SCBS is a "conservation" organization, not a hunting org. We do work closely with the California Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation and I am a life member of that org and an annual member of the national Wild Sheep Foundation.

Here in California we had an increase of (10) Bighorn Sheep tags for 2019 and we had another increase for (1) more tag in 2020. I will say that CAWSF is directly responsible for funding many of our conservation projects, which translates to more sheep on the mountain. The $$ hunters spend at Sheep Show, buying raffle tickets and attending fund raiser banquets goes directly to helping the sheep.

One of our recent projects was on the Marine Corps Base at 29-Palms, we installed a new "rain catcher" drinker system. This system's entire cost was paid for by a grant from the California Chapter of WSF.
9A624F9E-63D5-4521-9441-2E51547F3AB8.png
D01C723D-21D6-4854-BD00-1075246050C9.jpeg
F49F4F6D-ECA7-47B2-806F-E1A040B11330.png
663A9EA6-2D71-4660-82BB-F922C8A4462E.jpeg
FFB44C92-30D8-4FD6-9E77-FBEDE518EBC7.jpeg

The trail camera photos were just emailed to me from the base biologist. The sheep have found the water and are drinking. As recently as ten years ago, aerial surveys of the mountains on base would show fewer than a half dozen sheep. Numbers are increasing since we have added water.

I think these organizations are critical and obviously I am a big fan of WSF. I will be getting my life membership this year and attending Sheep Show. I will likely be manning a booth at the entrance with a big plastic tank.

If you want to be involved in feet on the ground it is a good place to start. I am in Texas Bighorn Society. This is a lot more hands on--and if you want to join I can help you...we do a summer workshop. TBS builds water guzzlers and helps bolster wild sheep habitat in Texas. I am sure the state your in has an organization or a chapter of DSC, SCI, etc...honestly that is the best place to start and get involved.From there you can guide your interest. Not to be crass if you want to hunt sheep--save your money....if you want to be part of something--join a local chapter and start giving back--and WSF is a good place--if that is where you want to give back.

To further answer your question--sheep show is fun, but I think anywhere like minded guys get together it is fun.

I stopped at the TBS booth at the sheep show this year, really nice people manning the booth. You guys have performed a miracle in you state to bring back the bighorn sheep. Kudos to you guys and all your hard work.

WSF is a great organization. Im lucky enough to call a couple guys on the board, good friends. They are all die hard conservationists. Went to reno this year for the first time. It was a blast! Id suggest going earlier in the week for your first time. Its a lot quieter then. Can talk to all of the outfitters and they will answer any question you have.

Thanks for all the input guys. I live in CO but I'm not sure what chapters are around. I know Rocky Mountain bighorn society is here. I've been involved with RMEF for awhile, I work in the natural resources profession so for me sheep conservation seems a good step. May never get to hunt one, but still I enjoy seeing them.

Went for a hike in sheep country yesterday actually since I needed some exercise. Found these and was able to get some decent pictures.
4509ECA1-DF2E-4969-A355-E89E4E284BF8.jpeg

B150B9DB-AD49-4BEB-A31C-66480741A8AF.jpeg

So I'm getting to the point in life that I can start thinking about sheep hunting. I've been putting in for CO for about a decade and started putting in for NV last year. But I'm considering becoming a life member for WSF and attending sheep show each year. Any WSF members here? Folks that go to sheep show? Looking for input on if WSF is worth my time and money.

Thanks
I'm a Member, but no Sheep Show(s) yet...

I am president of the WY WSF chapter and have attended the last 5 shows in Reno. Sheep week can be whatever you wish to make of it. There are tons of booths with all manner of products to sell. Most of the western G&F agencies have booths for information. The nightly banquets and auctions are well run and full of opportunities to purchase something knowing your dollars are going to be used for conservation. The atmosphere is upbeat, fun and welcoming. If you strike up a conversation about sheep hunting at this event you will probably be talking for a while. A unique aspect of this show is the respect and common bond for all who love sheep whether you can buy a $100,000 auction tag or are saving your nickels and trying to figure out a way to go sheep hunting.
If you want an active part in conservation check out what your state or local chapter is doing. They all would love more volunteer help with projects and fundraising. I am a life member and know the people who operate this organization are crazy about wild sheep conservation!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.