wild rangefinder ?

kidcoltoutlaw

they say to zero it when the height or the range is wrong.what do they mean by the height.do you line the images up so the peaks and points match.i have looked at the directions but have not had time to zero it yet.or see if i can do it yet.any pointers on how to zero it.and how to read the range.what should it look like when i have it right,thanks,keith

The hight is where the object splits in the little window.

To range, you look at something and bring the upside down image, and the rightside up image to the point where the edges (or some other features) intersect each other. But in order for this to be accurate, the point of intersection of the two images must be the same.

For example, if you were looking at a 12" ruler, and #1 was at the bottom... as you raised the the rangefinder up, you SHOULD see each number hit each other when they come to the intersection...

So #6 would dissapear from each edge of the window at the same time.

IF they don't, and you can see #6 in one window, and something else in the other, then you can range vertical lines, but other lines (diagonal, etc) will be WAY OFF.

A good check is a triangle set up with one point up, and the base flat on the ground.

When you look through the rangefinder, you will see both parts... now you "range it" and bring the bottom in line with the top.

If elevation is correct, then BOTH edges (left and right) of the triangle in one window, will will touch BOTH edges in the other window... the left side will touch the left side, and the right side will touch the right side... it should look kinda like a straight sided hourglass.

But if elevation is off... one of the images in the window will be larger than the other, and you can only get one edge to match it's reference side at a time, the other will be off.

That is elevation... set it first, before you adjust the range zero.

CatShooter.

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

thanks i will give it a try first thing in the mourning.it came with a ranging board i think they call it .did i read that right when they said set it at 60 to 80 meaters to read it.the window in the center is smaller but things should match it to the same scale size.not out of proportion.the triangles will look like a straight sided hour glass.that was what i was thinking ,as in upside down but the points and edges will match,thanks,keith

i think i got this height thing.both images should look the same.like a tree they both should show the same amount of the tree not one a lot and the other very little.if im right it can be adjusted any time it does not look right without screwing up the range. because the height and range are different controls.ok im ready for the range part of it.can you tell me about using the moon does it work.i dont have a good place that is flat to step off 400 meters to use as a standard.i might be able to do it beside the road,if some rookie cop dont try to blast me.the wild does not look like a range finder .looks more like a LAW,thanks,keith

Keith...

Yes, the edge of the moon is a great infinity target.

Also, the board that they sent you is called a "Lath board" board. The two lines on it are exactly the same distance apart as the two lenses on the rangefinder.

You can set it up at any distance around 80 to 100 yds/meters. The distance is not important, and you don't need to know the distance.

Stand the board up, and make sure it is 90 degrees to the rangefinder. When you look at the board through the Wild... set it to infinity, and you should see this:

....I.......I............
............I.......I....

The left line in one window will be inline with the right line in the other (I forgot which one, but you get the idea)... because the lines are exactly the same distange apart as the lenses, at infinity, you will get this pattern.

CatShooter.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

Catshooter just curios.Awhile back you ? using the sun for infinity even though they supply a dark lens for doing so,you also ? using the moon for infinity.Havnt used mine enough to know one way or the other just looking for the right infinity,is it the moon or the sun or does it matter is either one accurate=CJ http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000116

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: Mach V ]

CatShooter i set the board up and it looked like you said it would but i could not get the squares to line up under each other.do they need to in order to be right.infinity is it used for the height or can it also be used for the range.is infinity the last mark on the scale or do i just turn it as far as it will go.i checked it against some ranges a friend checked with his gps they were about 10 or 15 yards difference,i could be right i hear the gps is set to fail by the military,thanks,keith

Mach...

The dark eyepiece is for use in the mountains when ranging snow in bright light to reduce eye strain... it is NOT for looking at the sun.
A filter that is usable for looking at the sun MUST have a density of at least 5.0 (and that density must cover the infrared spectrum to about 5 Mu)... that is a reduction of 1:100,000 or more. The little dark lens supplied with the Wild will reduce the light about 1:4, and you will go blind
frown.gif
... a very badd thing, as it ruins your shooting
frown.gif
frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
... I set the board up and it looked like you said it would but I could not get the squares to line up under each other.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it looked like I said it would... what is the problem. Set the dial to infinity, and it should look like I said it will, with only ONE of the top lines over ONE of the bottom lines... there is no reason to have them both over each other... plus you can't do that, because the rangefinder won't range in that close.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
... infinity is it used for the height or can it also be used for the range. Is infinity the last mark on the scale or do I just turn it as far as it will go. I checked it against some ranges a friend checked with his gps they were about 10 or 15 yards difference, I could be right I hear the gps is set to fail by the military, thanks,keith.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Infinity is used for ALL of the calibrations... it is the figure at the end of the scale that looks like an "8" lying sideways. Set the scale at this figure when doing all calibrations.

The Wild is way more accurate than a GPS to about 2,500 meters... past that the GPS has the edge because the GPS error is constant, the optical rangefinder looses accuracy as ranges increase... but to all practical shooting ranges, only the military LASERS are better.

CatShooter.

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

Mach...

The dark eyepiece is for use in the mountains when ranging snow in bright light... it is NOT for looking at the sun.
A filter that isusable for looking at the sun MUST have a density of at least 5 (and that density must cover the infrared spectrum to about 4 Mu)... that is a reduction of 1:100,000 or more. The little dark lens sullpied will reduce the light about 1:4, and you will go blind
frown.gif
... a very badd thing, as it ruins your shooting
frown.gif
frown.gif

... i set the board up and it looked like you said it would but i could not get the squares to line up under each other.
If it looked like I said it would... what is the problem. Set the dial to infinity, and it should look like I said it will, with only ONE of the top lines over ONE of the bottom lines... there is no reason to have them both over each other... plus you can't do that, because the rangefinder won't range in that close.

... infinity is it used for the height or can it also be used for the range. Is infinity the last mark on the scale or do i just turn it as far as it will go. I checked it against some ranges a friend checked with his gps they were about 10 or 15 yards difference, I could be right I hear the gps is set to fail by the military, thanks,keith.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Infinity is used for ALL of the calibrations... it is the figure at the end of the scale that looks like an "8" lying sideways. Set the scale at this figure when doing all calibrations.

The Wind is way more accurate than a GPS to about 2,500 meters... past that the GPS has the edge becaue the GPS error is constant, the optical rangefinder looses accuracy as ranges increase... but to all practical shooting ranges, only the military LASERS are better.

CatShooter.

sounds like if i set it to infinity and it looks like this ....I.......I............
............I.......I....

at say 80 yards then i should be on with the height and the range.is that right thanks,keith

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.