Wild Rangefinder operating instructions.

Thesteeleboy

I have a Swiss made Wild rangefinder. Can anyone explain to me in layman terms how to operate the darn thing. The instructions I got with it aren't that clear, not to mention they got wet during a rain storm when UPS dropped it off on my porch so i'm missing parts of them.

Aint had mine out in years...never did figure out how to use the calibration board. I just used the moon or put the dark sunshade on and calibrated it to the sun. The more you use it the better it works!
I do however have a copy of the instructions on my webpage if that helps you at all? If you have specific questions I could dig it out and give you red-neck help.

Look ½ way down the page for the Wild instructions.
Guns

I printed this page off and taped it to the unit so I could correct meters to yards.

gunsmith%20112.jpg

Thank you for the conversion sheet, That will help a lot. I took it out and plated with it for a while today and am starting to figure it out. I think this big old piece of history is great. I compared it to my Leica 1200 and 1600 and it seems to work great. I'm totally lost on the looking at the moon thing to adjust it though.

Back before we had geovids /1200 and 1600 the Wild had to be calibrated useing the lath board but I never did figure out how to use it though? What I did was set the range dial to infinity and range the moon or with the dark lens in the sun. Then turned the calibration dial till they lined up. A quick double check on a section fence woulf confirm that is was reading 1605 meters or 1760 yards.
Where the Wild really shines for me is in a large flat dogtown. Its hard to lazer individual dogs but the Wild doubles as a spotter and does a good job of rangeing indifidual dogs.
My Geovids will usually get me out to 1100-1200 yards and my shooting partners 1600 will do better than that......to 1700 on most good targets. Have found the Wild to be usefull in geting in the ballpark but would not put $$ on a first round hit useing the Wild past 1500 yards.
Great glass and fun to use but I'd own a Vector if I could!

Tboy , take that Range Chart to Kinkos . Use one of their Copiers to change the Print size to whatever you want so it can be easily read . Then have Kinkos laminate it in a plastic envelope ....no more worries about getting it wet ! Also a good idea for Scope Charts , etc.

Great information and advise. Thank you for all the help. I had a lot of trouble ranging Antelope with both my 1200 and 1600 yard Leica's when they got out past 700 yds. in the flat lands of Wyoming. I'm hopping this unit is as useful as I think it may be. What ever the case, it will be fun to play with.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.