"Wild Boar Fever"

geo4061

New show on the Outdoor channel today Saturday at 5pm. I saw this last week and it was about Franz( J E this is your guy) and his European friends hog hunting. It started with their equipment. Large caliber bolt rifles with Aimpoint scopes. Then to the range where they practiced on moving hog targets at different ranges. Then to the driven hunts.

He is good isn't he !!!

Running targets take lots of practice and the right equipment. I think he has it figured out. Not sure what cartridge he is using, but it looks like an 8 or 9 mm (Plenty of knock down power for these tough animals).

He works the bolt like a match shooter and never looses focus. I consider my self a good running shot, But he is out of my league.

I will watch the program and try to learn more.:):)

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

I now know why they are so good. It's practice, practice, practice. I was so impressed with their set up I'll say it again. They have a live action set up with moving hog targets at different ranges that they spend hours upon hours on. When it comes to the hunt they know and survey the escape routes and their distances before setting up. Then the driven hunt. These guys got it going on.

Last edited:
I now know why they are so good. It's practice, practice, practice. I was so impressed with their set up I'll say it again. They have a live action set up with moving hog targets at different ranges that they spend hours upon hours on. When it comes to the hunt they know and survey the escape routes and their distances before setting up. Then the driven hunt. These guys got it going on.

They appear to be well rehearsed and show great discipline while hunting. These hunts are traditional and are centuries old.

Those guys are vastly better shooters than most of the hunters in this country when it comes to running game. That probably has something to do with their gun clubs, I don't know of any local club that has a running target like that though I'd probably go broke shooting at it if there was. It is interesting that they only seem to utilize red dot sights but I guess that allows a much quicker sight picture over even a 1-x variable scope and they don't seem to be shooting all that far.

It is also interesting to see how involved their hunts are compared to my experiences hunting. Based on all the pomp an circumstance they have for those hunts I'm sure they would find our traditions downright barbaric. It is interesting to see that they are graded on their shot placement, I know a couple people that I hunt with wouldn't even be allowed to renew their license if that was a requirement.

If you have never shot a red dot it is an experience. You shoot with both eyes open and the dot appears on the target. The rifle has to "fit" like a shotgun to shoot where you look.

On running targets no matter what type of site you are using(Open. aperture, scope, holograph or red dot) it is better to always shoot with both eyes open. With both eyes open, the off eye increases the field of view and the brain forces the other eye to align with the off site eye and the dot/sites come together automatically. then all you have to do is concentrate on lead and where you want the bullet to impact.

Sounds simple? It's not. but that's the best way I have found to hit running targets.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I put an E O Tech on my shotgun. It is much like a red dot. It has become my favorite. It's a killer and fun to shoot. I really like it. Franzs' shots look like they are placed not shot. Always right behind the ear. I am a very sloppy shooter compared to him. J E much like you I thought I was pretty good at running shots. I grew up in the Texas panhandle shooting jack rabbits on the run with a 22. I wouldn't even make the water boy for these guys. They sure are fun to watch.

The star of the show I believe his name is Franz has some serious shooting skills. Hitting fast moving targets is really tough. He makes it look rather easy I have to say I'm impressed and will keep watching.

I found it interesting that there is such a demand and market for wild game meat. It really is a perfect scenario; where there is over population, there are hunters wanting to harvest them and a market for all the meat.

Those guys are vastly better shooters than most of the hunters in this country when it comes to running game. That probably has something to do with their gun clubs, I don't know of any local club that has a running target like that though I'd probably go broke shooting at it if there was. It is interesting that they only seem to utilize red dot sights but I guess that allows a much quicker sight picture over even a 1-x variable scope and they don't seem to be shooting all that far.

It is also interesting to see how involved their hunts are compared to my experiences hunting. Based on all the pomp an circumstance they have for those hunts I'm sure they would find our traditions downright barbaric. It is interesting to see that they are graded on their shot placement, I know a couple people that I hunt with wouldn't even be allowed to renew their license if that was a requirement.

It does have a lot to do with their hunting laws. In most US states it is illegal to drive any game with dogs and/or people, so we don't get to practice this type of hunting.

We, especially on this site, prefer longer shots and pinpoint accuracy. (We don't mind closer shots, But we are prepared for longer ones).

Running shots are just something we should have in our arsenal of skills just in case. Fortunately, most responsible hunters know their limits and do not take shots that are to long or just not advisable. Running shots require different equipment and skill, so a person has to decide if he should shoot or pass on any iffy shot.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
It does have a lot to do with their hunting laws. In most US states it is illegal to drive any game with dogs and/or people, so we don't get to practice this type of hunting.

We, especially on this site, prefer longer shots and pinpoint accuracy. (We don't mind closer shots, But we are prepared for longer ones).

Running shots are just something we should have in our arsenal of skills just in case. Fortunately, most responsible hunters know their
limits and do not take shots that are to long or just not advisable. Running shorts require different equipment and skill, so a person has to decide if he should shoot or pass on any iffy shot.
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.