Wife's Monster Hybrid Wild Turkey

The lease my wife and I are has been in the same hands for 27 years so I know the history of the property. I've only been on it for three years but my dad had hunted here off and on since his friend acquire it. He had told me some years ago that they occasionally killed what he called Eastern's in an area dominated by Rio's.

Well my wife shot one yesterday!

Over the last three years I've called a bunch of gobbler for my wife, dad and myself, but none can match this beast!

View attachment 186182

This her with the monster!

Just for quick reference, here is a huge gobbler she shot last year...
View attachment 186184
The light colored tips of the fan and secondary feathers of the fan are darker, more like an Eastern Gobbler.

Oh...and to top it off...it was a double bearded gobbler too. The main beard was 11" and the little "hen" beard was 6.5".
View attachment 186192

I have heavy boned hands and wrists and this turkeys neck is nearly as big around as my wrists. I can touch finger tips but not much more than that!

Also note the "flight" feathers of the wings are nearly totally black on the Hybrid turkey!

Pretty cool creature!
Nice congrats

Very nice turkey and great job calling. That is a huge bird and unique cross bred bird. We only have Easterns here in Michigan and part of the state is in a drawing, other areas are over the counter license. My season starts on the 18th. So far it is still a go. Sorry about Washington state cancelling. Stay safe!

Awesome! Congrats! Did you happen to weigh him? Not many toms make it to 25lbs and even fewer to 30 (very rare), but he looks like a beast. I killed an eastern in VA a few yrs back that was 29lbs 2oz and even after two days in the crockpot my aunt and uncle's giant Kangol dog (think 160lb German shepherd) wouldn't eat it. It was so tough it took a butcher knife to cut it.

Nice Bird!! We have big Easterns in Indiana. My best is just under 27 lbs. My hunting buddy got one five years ago that was 29.5 lbs!! I think our state record is 31.5 pounds

The lease my wife and I are has been in the same hands for 27 years so I know the history of the property. I've only been on it for three years but my dad had hunted here off and on since his friend acquire it. He had told me some years ago that they occasionally killed what he called Eastern's in an area dominated by Rio's.

Well my wife shot one yesterday!

Over the last three years I've called a bunch of gobbler for my wife, dad and myself, but none can match this beast!

View attachment 186182

This her with the monster!

Just for quick reference, here is a huge gobbler she shot last year...
View attachment 186184
The light colored tips of the fan and secondary feathers of the fan are darker, more like an Eastern Gobbler.

Oh...and to top it off...it was a double bearded gobbler too. The main beard was 11" and the little "hen" beard was 6.5".
View attachment 186192

I have heavy boned hands and wrists and this turkeys neck is nearly as big around as my wrists. I can touch finger tips but not much more than that!

Also note the "flight" feathers of the wings are nearly totally black on the Hybrid turkey!

Pretty cool creature!
That is definitely a monster bird! My biggest Eastern, was from KY, 22 lbs. and I had it mounted. Yours wife's bird makes that one look like a pheasant!
We know that the whitetail an muley's can breed when they live in the same area so I assume that the Eastern and Rio's can breed breed when they live in the same area?
Biker Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.