Wife's Monster Hybrid Wild Turkey

CaptnC

The lease my wife and I are has been in the same hands for 27 years so I know the history of the property. I've only been on it for three years but my dad had hunted here off and on since his friend acquire it. He had told me some years ago that they occasionally killed what he called Eastern's in an area dominated by Rio's.

Well my wife shot one yesterday!

Over the last three years I've called a bunch of gobbler for my wife, dad and myself, but none can match this beast!

20200406_193402.jpg

This her with the monster!

Just for quick reference, here is a huge gobbler she shot last year...
20190420_192137.jpg

The light colored tips of the fan and secondary feathers of the fan are darker, more like an Eastern Gobbler.

Oh...and to top it off...it was a double bearded gobbler too. The main beard was 11" and the little "hen" beard was 6.5".
20200406_225213.jpg

I have heavy boned hands and wrists and this turkeys neck is nearly as big around as my wrists. I can touch finger tips but not much more than that!

Also note the "flight" feathers of the wings are nearly totally black on the Hybrid turkey!

Pretty cool creature!

After reading this post, My curiosity on the matter peeked because we have both types of Turkeys (Eastern and Rio grande) and have seen different color patterns on them. and I always wondered if this could happen. Our Eastern turkeys are much larger than the Rio grande's Up to 10 lbs on average and the eastern tom,s are never around the Rio grande's so we assumed that they did not inter breed.

Here is an article that may clear up this question, But it really doesn't matter, because those are nice Turkeys and should be good eating. đź‘Ť

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Very nice, congrats to you and yours.

Not sure what part of the state your in but I've heard of easterns showing up around the lampassas area which I'd consider typically Rio country.

I know what you mean about the big headed bird. I killed a double this year and one weighed 20 pounds even. His head was noticeably bigger than the average sized bird.
20200401_084857.jpg

Very nice, congrats to you and yours.

Not sure what part of the state your in but I've heard of easterns showing up around the lampassas area which I'd consider typically Rio country.

I know what you mean about the big headed bird. I killed a double this year and one weighed 20 pounds even. His head was noticeably bigger than the average sized bird.View attachment 186257
Nice gobblers!

We hunt Comanche county...

The lease my wife and I are has been in the same hands for 27 years so I know the history of the property. I've only been on it for three years but my dad had hunted here off and on since his friend acquire it. He had told me some years ago that they occasionally killed what he called Eastern's in an area dominated by Rio's.

Well my wife shot one yesterday!

Over the last three years I've called a bunch of gobbler for my wife, dad and myself, but none can match this beast!

View attachment 186182

This her with the monster!

Just for quick reference, here is a huge gobbler she shot last year...
View attachment 186184
The light colored tips of the fan and secondary feathers of the fan are darker, more like an Eastern Gobbler.

Oh...and to top it off...it was a double bearded gobbler too. The main beard was 11" and the little "hen" beard was 6.5".
View attachment 186192

I have heavy boned hands and wrists and this turkeys neck is nearly as big around as my wrists. I can touch finger tips but not much more than that!

Also note the "flight" feathers of the wings are nearly totally black on the Hybrid turkey!

Pretty cool creature!
MAMAS HAPPY! Looks like Turkey Dinner for the whole family!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.