Wife's Monster Hybrid Wild Turkey

The lease my wife and I are has been in the same hands for 27 years so I know the history of the property. I've only been on it for three years but my dad had hunted here off and on since his friend acquire it. He had told me some years ago that they occasionally killed what he called Eastern's in an area dominated by Rio's.

Well my wife shot one yesterday!

Over the last three years I've called a bunch of gobbler for my wife, dad and myself, but none can match this beast!

View attachment 186182

This her with the monster!

Just for quick reference, here is a huge gobbler she shot last year...
View attachment 186184
The light colored tips of the fan and secondary feathers of the fan are darker, more like an Eastern Gobbler.

Oh...and to top it off...it was a double bearded gobbler too. The main beard was 11" and the little "hen" beard was 6.5".
View attachment 186192

I have heavy boned hands and wrists and this turkeys neck is nearly as big around as my wrists. I can touch finger tips but not much more than that!

Also note the "flight" feathers of the wings are nearly totally black on the Hybrid turkey!

Pretty cool creature!
Merriam/Rio cross hybrids here...big ones around right now...groups of 6 or so all around...

Hey kids come look I shrunk your momma. Your wife looks 50 percent smaller in the first pic. That bird looks like a beast.
Shep

Thanks everyone!

I wish we had some scales to have weighed him.

We have Eastern's that were stocked in East Texas, in an attempt to bring them back. My dad and I hunted them for 4 years. They had to be checked in and weighed. We killed several, the largest one we killed weighed 23lbs. It was no where close to this thing.

The story before the shot was pretty funny too.

We had set up on a feeder because game camera show'd three boars coming in just before dark nearly every night so we had my 7.62x39 AR with the ATN Day/Night scope and her 20ga shotgun. She had the AR setup on a tripod pointed towards the feeder.

I would call about every 15 minutes or so. The plan was to get a reply and we would take off after him.

It had been about 10 minutes since my last calls when he "blew our hats off!" That's a term we coined many, many years ago when a gobbler would gobble right in your face...as loud as he can. In our experience gobbler will turn the volume down as they get in close, but I guess he wasn't exactly sure where she was so he cut loose.

Any way it made me jump which is hard to do. I was so startled I didn't pickup on where it came from. It turned out he was 25 yards over my right shoulder...happens to be my good ear! LOL...when I started clucking and purring he gobbled again...that's when I picked up on where he was.

My wife's shotgun was on the ground in front of me so I was able to slip it to her, then grabbed one of her belt loops and turned her so she could get the shot.

As luck would have it he walked behind a cedar bush and gave me time to spin her around without him seeing the movement.

He gave us another thundering gobble while behind the cedar. I was clucking and purring as he reappeared and the wife crushed him at 20yds.

Last edited:
Congratulations! That is a huge turkey. Not to hijack your thread but for comparison first picture a Osceola and the second a true eastern my wife took this year. It is always interesting to see the color change across the regions and subspecies

Thanks

Buck

Attachments

• D069CFB2-8E58-447B-B362-64C7EFA96B2C.jpeg
    D069CFB2-8E58-447B-B362-64C7EFA96B2C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 367
  • F37C59F1-C89F-48F8-BDF8-631C110588D3.jpeg
    F37C59F1-C89F-48F8-BDF8-631C110588D3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 339
Nice gobblers!

We hunt Comanche county...
I used to hunt Comanche county ... on a property nestled against the Corps of Engineer land on Proctor Lake. One of my fellow lessees now owns some property closer to the city of Comanche. I've since moved west to Throckmorton County but really enjoyed hunting the Comanche area.

Turkeys will cross breed with other turkeys. When I worked as a Wildlife Officer got a strange call, in early April one year.
A farmer called me and complained he had problem with a wild turkey on his farm.
They had 2 of the largest domestic gobblers I ever seen. They stated Tom's weight at 50 lb. and Harry's at 45 lb., They were so big they done well to walk much less fight. There story was a (little turkey) came in the barn yard and took over their hens. This turkey would run or fly away if they came out in the yard/Barn yard area.

Next morning I was sitting in their barn at daylight. The domestic turkeys roosted in a building and came off the roost and into the barn yard shortly after daylight and started making some sounds. As I watched a turkey sailed into a meadow and came strutting into the barn yard. The 2 big domestic gobblers walked away and let the wild turkey take over the hens. 2 or 3 of the hens came around the gobbler and dropped and raised their tail. He done his fowl deed. I came out of the barn and ran, Went into the air and down the hollow.

I turned the complaint over to the District Biologist and I went back to working on illegal preseason gobbler hunting. The farmer later told me his neighbor called in and killed a nice gobbler the first day of spring gobbler season and the problem ended.

NICE BIRD!! My biggest turkey in Kansas was a hybrid that looked a lot like that. I was hunting in the eastern third of the state when I killed mine. It was a hot day, so I field dressed him and put ice in the body cavity. He weighed a little over 25lbs when we got home. Sours were just under 1-1/2" and the beard was 11-1/2". Have shot a lot of Rios and only one other eastern in Kansas.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.