Wife's Comanche Texas Gobbler

CaptnC

So far it been a wet spring. The land owner pulled the cows last year so the property is lush right now.

The turkey hunting has been good, but using rkey tags not to so good! Between my dad (81yo) and my wife, they only put holes in the air!

My dad missed 5 last year, but he had his caderac's removed this past fall. He said he could see very good last year, but he never told me he could just barely see a turkey. Well now he can see 20/20, but still can't hit one.

Last year we tried every shotgun I own except my old Revelation shotgun (the one he said he really wanted to use). He had used it a lot back in the day but I feared it would break his shoulder so I never brought it.

But we had it this year...I have been doing all the calling for both my wife and Dad. I've only hunted when they wanted to sleep in.

So out we go, Dad passes a gift call up that moves off after not seeing any hens. I ask what happened? "Too far" he said...WHAT! He was only 25 yards away!

Next setup goes as quickly, but I can't get him out of the strut. No hens so he starts to leave so I made a cow moo, nothing...said "hey" pretty loud, still won't unpuff...but getting further away...now I'm screaming HEY. He looks up, but still struting. Dad shoots and misses!

So now it's my wife's weekend to hunt. We had a hog hunt that was cancelled because of flood water from the Sabine River. Everything is packed so we head to the deer lease.

Friday afternoon we sit watching the feeder for hogs and they don't disappoint up. Ours are normally nocturnal, but here they are at 5pm

My wife is shooting her 18" SS BCA Barreled 6.5 Grendel that I built for her. 107 yards bang flop!

20190419_184456.jpg

So we hussel her off to camp so we can try to roost a gobbler for the morning.

A little cool 47 degree, for Texas any way, but dry and calm.

First set up I get one to come right away, but he bust us and too off. He was still gobbling as he left and the mining gobblers followed him!

Mid day has been good and the frist set up has three struters! She rolls one with her 20ga. But I loose sight of him and he is floping too much. When I move so I can see him, I tell her to shoot him again, but too late. He finally gathers himself and takes off.

Early afternoon we get one answerin but won't move. I told the wife we would give him some time. He was close to a feeder and I'm sure waiting for one to come to him.

I have a strut zone at a three way intersection that seems to produce on a regular bases. I was walking there the weekend I was with my Dad and the "pattern was full Ghost Rider"!

I took this photo with my cell phone.
20190411_180359-1.jpg

There was three struters there last week.

So I made sure we got there early enough to beat them to my little hide. My Dad has missed three from this spot in two years!

20190420_140147.jpg

So before we get in position I can hear a gobbler, gobbling. We had to hurry because he was close. We got set up and I stroked the call! Not only did he cover my call, but he double gobbled.

It didn't take 15 minutes for him to come into veiw. He would look, puff up...walk 5 steps....look....puff up walk 5 steps...he did this about 4 time before my wife unloaded her 20ga on him!

20190420_192130.jpg
20190420_201438-1.jpg

Edit: sorry I hit the wrong button and only posted half the story....LOL

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts