Wife's 7mm Sherman Max build thread

How long for that ANti action...thinking of ordering one myself...
So when the order was finalized last week on the 22nd, they said timeline is around 4 months for the bare action, add 3-4 weeks if I wanted it nitrided. I'm getting it bare, as we are having the whole rifle cerakoted in whatever color she wants.

When I talked to Defiance and gave them the cartridge specs for the Sherman Max in a long action (as opposed to the proprietary medium xm action), they said the best route to run it as a staggerfeed bdl, would be to go with the win mag feed lips, as opposed to the RUM type feed lips.

I went with the long action in case my wife ever decided she wanted to go with a larger chambering, like the 30 Sherman Mag, it would be easy to convert. Until then, I'll just put in a small plastic spacer at the rear of the mag box, around .4"-.5" thick depending on what OAL ends up being, should be easy to shape it, then drill a couple small holes in the mag box and screw it in place.

Last edited:
Took me forever to get to the FFL with hunting season and all, but here it is -

20201028_194843.jpg
20201028_210339.jpg

Picture is minus barrel, brake, trigger and action screws. After crunching all the numbers, running the Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44 and light rings, should end up at 8.5 lbs, with an OAL of 41". Even with the YHM resinator and QD mount attached, it will only be 48.5" long and 9.7 lbs!!

This is gonna be a sleek, handy little sucker.....I think I'm becoming jealous!!!

Sweet. She will be pleased. Now you will "have to" develop some loads for her gun. Only problem I see, is the bolt is on the wrong side for some of us.

Well, got to looking at weight, and going with a 20" barrel, using a Bartlien remington varmint contour carbon barrel vs a standard steel rem Varmint contour with spiral fluting, wasn't really saving me any weight. Compared to a proof barrel, it saves about 4-5 ounces, and the bartlien carbon barrels are heavier than the proofs from all my research, so it didn't really make much sense. So after the wife's approval from looking at a bunch of photos of spiral fluted barrels, we switched to a Krieger rem varmint contour, 4 groove with a 7.5 twist (planning on running PVA cayuga bullets and Badlands Bulldozer bullets, both monos) and will have it sent off to LRI for some aggressive fluting to get the weight down. With my calculations of stainless steel density and the amount of material removed from the roughly 14" of useable fluting area, we should be able to get the steel 20" barrel to right at or just under 3 lbs, which should keep us at our weight goal.

Well, got to looking at weight, and going with a 20" barrel, using a Bartlien remington varmint contour carbon barrel vs a standard steel rem Varmint contour with spiral fluting, wasn't really saving me any weight. Compared to a proof barrel, it saves about 4-5 ounces, and the bartlien carbon barrels are heavier than the proofs from all my research, so it didn't really make much sense. So after the wife's approval from looking at a bunch of photos of spiral fluted barrels, we switched to a Krieger rem varmint contour, 4 groove with a 7.5 twist (planning on running PVA cayuga bullets and Badlands Bulldozer bullets, both monos) and will have it sent off to LRI for some aggressive fluting to get the weight down. With my calculations of stainless steel density and the amount of material removed from the roughly 14" of useable fluting area, we should be able to get the steel 20" barrel to right at or just under 3 lbs, which should keep us at our weight goal.
Any new progress update on the build?Been following for quite some time as I have been contemplating a similar build when funding allows.

Have everything minus barrel.....Krieger says I should have it by May....let's hope so, this has been a long time coming!! Ended up getting a good deal on a Burris XTRIII 3.3-18x50, and got some 34mm Hawkins rings to compliment it. The Jewel trigger is nice as well. Almost there! Should come in close to my weight goal too! 6.2 lbs minus 20" barrel!
20210412_143834.jpg
20210412_122717.jpg