Wide spread Antelope winter kill in Wy this winter.

Unfortunstely....that's incorrect information.....cougar and blkbear are hunted.....but not with dogs or bait..the most effective way....there are lots of them taken by hunters..but by means of mostly accidental sightings during other seasons.....bears are spring hunted..just not to the extent of reducing any real numbers.......
The odfw actually hired hound hunters several years ago to kill some cougars in the Steens mountains...."the allotment was not enough" said a hound hunter....
they killed the 25 cats in 2 days....didn't make a dent in the deer/sheep killers...
Wow... that's sounds like they have a real cougar problem over there!

Pretty much from Rawlins Wyoming to Echo Utah on i80 is a waste land of frozen dead animals. It's sad.

G&F has proposed tags for 2023 on the website the cuts don't look like enough.

Several times this winter I drove from Rock Springs to Cheyenne or up to Casper and would see 100-500 elk inside the right of way every drive. Northern Colorado is cutting tags by 40%.

Winter has been rough in the high desert.

Pretty much from Rawlins Wyoming to Echo Utah on i80 is a waste land of frozen dead animals. It's sad.

G&F has proposed tags for 2023 on the website the cuts don't look like enough.

Several times this winter I drove from Rock Springs to Cheyenne or up to Casper and would see 100-500 elk inside the right of way every drive. Northern Colorado is cutting tags by 40%.

Winter has been rough in the high desert.
Because the scope of this disaster is only just now being quantified by Game and Fish, I fully expect emergency modifications will be published cutting tag #'s before the beginning of the draw. Stand by - it doesn't look good.

Unfortunstely....that's incorrect information.....cougar and blkbear are hunted.....but not with dogs or bait..the most effective way....there are lots of them taken by hunters..but by means of mostly accidental sightings during other seasons.....bears are spring hunted..just not to the extent of reducing any real numbers.......
The odfw actually hired hound hunters several years ago to kill some cougars in the Steens mountains...."the allotment was not enough" said a hound hunter....
they killed the 25 cats in 2 days....didn't make a dent in the deer/sheep killers...
It's kind of sad,it happens in many states.I'm against hiring contractors and paying good money out when they could let local people hunt them and possibly make money on a special license. I think it's just stupid.

Yes, they are calling for up to 22" more above us here in the Bighorns.

I realize I have relegated to a daily whining about the weather and this winter's conditions for the animals.
I believe this winter is as hard on me (in spirit, lol) as it has been the animals.

While making a Sheridan run today, the girl at the checkout at Shiptons told me to look at next week's forecast.

Seventies coming! Warm for early April! Yay!

The Casper area saw -40* early, record snowfall for January and February, record daily snowfall for a 24 hour period on Monday.
We've been snowed in all winter as most of the backroads are impassable. I'm afraid of what we are going to find when it melts enough to get out and about!
My plan at this point is to pass on antelope and deer tags this year. Heck ive even looked into New Mexico tags but dang thats spendy. Probably just help the daughter get her first antelope and maybe pick up a cow elk tag.
This is what we woke up to Tuesday morning
20230404_075928.jpg
20230404_075906.jpg
20230404_075711.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly don't think that raising the "Special Elk" tag price to $1800-$2000 is going to keep many non residents from coming here to hunt. It may make the odds a bit better to draw it and make the odds go down on the "Regular Elk" draw. We have the best "General" elk season hunting in the country here and I think many people will pay what they have to within reason to come here…
It will steer more of them to Idaho. 🤦‍♂️
I WISH Idaho would raise non-res fees to the same rates as surrounding states.

I don't begrudge people for wanting to hunt out of state, but I don't like being the bargain/opportunity state for the nation.