Wide spread Antelope winter kill in Wy this winter.

I honestly don't think that raising the "Special Elk" tag price to $1800-$2000 is going to keep many non residents from coming here to hunt. It may make the odds a bit better to draw it and make the odds go down on the "Regular Elk" draw. We have the best "General" elk season hunting in the country here and I think many people will pay what they have to within reason to come here…

If ya can write the tag cost off to work entertainment to price won't be felt by many.....and some have plenty deep pockets to absorb that pocket change hit anyways......

The price in 2017 was $591 for a regular nr Elk license and went to $707 in 2018. Special was $1071 and went to $1283 the same year.
Next year the regular prices for E/D/A all stay the same with special going to $1965/$1215/$1215.

I doubt this winter will have any kind of profound effect on our elk herd but the deer and antelope will take hits in some areas of the state. The G&F department has been feeding and paying some ranchers to feed elk in areas where they congregate in years like this that they don't normally supplementally feed. You know the last two winters here were absolute non eventsin the western part of the state. This winter has been more like a "normal" winter if there is such a thing. I'm sure that there will be many people that are new here and haven't experienced a "normal" winter until now leave here for good this year…
I believe you're right. Since I've lived here I've had people tell me how the winters used to be, lol. Another friend of mine who's been here since the late 70's told me he's seen winters where it was negative 40-50 for a few weeks and snow up to the window sills. We've had a lot of west coast people move into the western side of the state. If we continue having winters like this, they'll be moving haha.

If ya can write the tag cost off to work entertainment to price won't be felt by many.....and some have plenty deep pockets to absorb that pocket change hit anyways......
I agree, and there seems to be a lot of money moving into the state, and others visiting through the year. That's for sure. In the town I live in, there are many houses that sit empty in the winter months. But they aren't for rent.

The price in 2017 was $591 for a regular nr Elk license and went to $707 in 2018. Special was $1071 and went to $1283 the same year.
Next year the regular prices for E/D/A all stay the same with special going to $1965/$1215/$1215.
$1215 is still a lot of money for a tag, I think. But I haven't hunted in any other western state so those numbers may close to what most people have been paying. When you think about the tag price, and factor that in for the cost of the meat per lb, I think I'd stay in my own state, lol.

$1215 is still a lot of money for a tag, I think. But I haven't hunted in any other western state so those numbers may close to what most people have been paying. When you think about the tag price, and factor that in for the cost of the meat per lb, I think I'd stay in my own state, lol.
I live in Pennsylvania and have very limited elk tags. Maybe 150 total so if I want to hunt elk I'm going to have to pay the non resident fees. Heading to Colorado this year and it'll be close to $800. I would love to head west every year but I accepted the fact I can only afford to go every couple years unless I decide to move! 😉

I do know a lot of guys who hunt elk in Colorado & Utah on OTC tags. I used to myself. For ME there is really no comparison to those experiences vs hunting in Wyoming. Sure there are places with better overall trophy quality but as far as elk numbers and bull to cow ratios I just don't think you can beat the Cowboy State

Those of us that stay here year round should be awarded some kind of sympathy or stupidity points……😂
Where in the state do you live?