Wichita Mountains Walk In Hunt

I never been but there are bunch of YouTube videos about Wichita Mtns. Bet you can get some helpful info from them.

Oklahoma not know for elk, that makes your hunt unique. Elk from your "home state". :)

They do seem concerned about ones ability to hike the "mountains" there. I moved to oklahoma from utah, so have hiked much worse. The recovery phase will be the most work. I lucked out and drew this year also, so should be fun.

I have not hunted there, but I have been on the tour inside the high fence. Saw some really nice bulls. Since then, I have been there several times hiking outside the high fence. We usually see just as many elk doing that as we did on the tour. Actually the biggest bull I have ever seen there, a big 7x7 was outside the high fence.

We have called several up to within 3 yards when they are bugling in the fall.

Good Luck. I have been putting in for years. Some day I will get lucky and draw a tag.

Thanks fellas. I'm from Oklahoma but I've hunted some nasty stuff. It's encouraging to hear about 7 pt bulls there. I havnt received many details from the state, surely they will send something out soon. Maybe I can find one.

I lived just outside the refuge in Cache OK for over 40 years. I started putting in for the elk hunt when the drawing was held at the Cache high school gym. I volunteered and worked the hunt for 6 or 7 years until my first knee surgery. The walk in hunt is a fairly new addition to increase hunting opportunities. Be prepared for some nasty walking conditions. Lots of rocks hidden in the grass. We used to say there are 3 types of rocks, sliders, rockers and rollers. Wear well broken in boots with strong ankle support. Great glass is a necessity along with a good rangefinder, a gps is a good idea too. Get up high and glass early and late. The elk will be low in the morning and make their way up into the draws. The evenings will bring them back down onto the grass flats. It's much like hunting out west except for the altitude. The oak brush is thick and noisy to navigate. The acorns will be gone by the time you hunt but the brush still provides good bedding cover. The elk are the real deal, lots of really nice 6x6's. The biggest one I've personally seen and help pack out was a 7x8 that was a true monster that green scored in the 360's. Expect shots to be under 500 yards. The most popular calibers were 7 mag, 30-06 and 270. If you've never hunted elk, remember to keep shooting until it's on the ground. They can go a long ways even with a good hit. I've had a dozen friends and family members get drawn and stay with us but I'm still waiting on my turn. Hope this helps.

I lived just outside the refuge in Cache OK for over 40 years. I started putting in for the elk hunt when the drawing was held at the Cache high school gym. I volunteered and worked the hunt for 6 or 7 years until my first knee surgery. The walk in hunt is a fairly new addition to increase hunting opportunities. Be prepared for some nasty walking conditions. Lots of rocks hidden in the grass. We used to say there are 3 types of rocks, sliders, rockers and rollers. Wear well broken in boots with strong ankle support. Great glass is a necessity along with a good rangefinder, a gps is a good idea too. Get up high and glass early and late. The elk will be low in the morning and make their way up into the draws. The evenings will bring them back down onto the grass flats. It's much like hunting out west except for the altitude. The oak brush is thick and noisy to navigate. The acorns will be gone by the time you hunt but the brush still provides good bedding cover. The elk are the real deal, lots of really nice 6x6's. The biggest one I've personally seen and help pack out was a 7x8 that was a true monster that green scored in the 360's. Expect shots to be under 500 yards. The most popular calibers were 7 mag, 30-06 and 270. If you've never hunted elk, remember to keep shooting until it's on the ground. They can go a long ways even with a good hit. I've had a dozen friends and family members get drawn and stay with us but I'm still waiting on my turn. Hope this helps.
It does, thank you.

We use to camp at tha base of my Mt.Scott for two weeks a year for our family reunion when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's before they made it day use only. I can't tell you how many times I climbed that mountain. During the fall rut the bison would literally come fighting through camp. At night you could see flares and hear explosions from night maneuvers at Fort Sill. We got our water from a big old hand pump they have since removed. I can still remember the taste that water. Boy was that a trip down amnesia lane. Sorry to get off topic. Lots of memories though.

Recent Posts