wich 30. caliber

My 30-06 Ackley improved pushed 180 gr bullet at about 2950fps. Who needs more than that?

well nothing wrong with the 06 I just don't wanna lob bullets at the ranges I anticipate shooting and Im gonna shoot atleast a 200 grn pill if not heavier and one of the mags I've narrowed it down to wil push a 200 grn pill faster and flater

If you want to go faster and heavier, you should be shooting a .338.

This is a good point, and why I feel the 300 win with a 215 works so well for me. I can, and do, take elk to 1000 probably farther and have taken antelope to close to 1300 yards. If I plan to go much farther than that it is time to get out the 338.

All my magnums will be braked. The added accuracy and being able to spot my own hits is a critical element in long range shooting or hunting. I would never give that up and go back to a non-braked rifle again.

Jeff

Do yourself a big favor and put a good brake on it before you even get started.

Read the last few pages on the "Muzzle Brake on a 300wm" thread and you'll understand why.

Even my 7mm STW's and 300 Rum are sheer pleasure to shoot because they have good muzzle breaks on them.

Out of all the things you can do to help your actual shooting in the field to me the muzzle brake is probably number one since it will allow you to see your impacts at any range with the above choices of calibers. That will make you a better rifleman because you aren't guessing and it will improve your percentages on follow ups dramatically because you can see instantly whether or not you missed and if you did what you need to do to correct instantly allowing you to put your follow up on target in ten seconds or less.

The latter can be extremely critical shooting in any kind of terrain that is not completely flat or if there is any sort of brush or trees that a missed or wounded animal can disappear into.

We have a number of sponsors to this site including Jim See and Kirby who make very nice, very effective muzzle brakes and this one here is my personal favorite. It's not even too rough on the ears if you have to make a quick shot and don't have time or forget to put on your "ears".
Muzzle Brakes

This one came on a 7mm STW I recently purchased and it's the best MB overall I've ever used. I like it well enough that I'm going to put it on five other rifles I own already.

Ok since I know nothing about brakes and I really don't like the way they look wich one do I get how about the gentry only one I looked up or what about the brakes that are made on the barrel not screwed on

Looking at your responces I think you need at LEAST a 300RUM! an Allen or a Lazzeroni may be more what your looking for.
You can push the 215's up to 3300fps with the RUM (i have done it lol) that is a lot of power. I feel unless your going to be shooting over 1400 yards that the RUM is about the best combo for big game. over 1400 the .338 in the bigger mags takes over.

Ok since I know nothing about brakes and I really don't like the way they look wich one do I get how about the gentry only one I looked up or what about the brakes that are made on the barrel not screwed on
Have a gunsmith thread the barrel and install a VIAS brake then you can take it of and have a thread cap and the vias while taking away a good amount of recoil also isn't as loud as some others.

Although I can't/won't recommend the VIAS to anyone. The threaded brake is most definitely the way to go. Magna-Porting is ok but I don't believe that style is efficient as the larger screw on styles. Plus you can't take it off to clean your rifle, you end up with bunch of crap to clean out of the brake then...:rolleyes: PITA.

The PainKiller & Muscle Brake are made by our sponsors (as well as others I can't think of). Start with those guys, they make their living AND their reputation on their products. They won't give you the run-around.

CenterShot Rifles--
Allen Precision--
JE Custom--
DeadlyPrecision--

etc.

t

If it is not screwed to the barrel it is actually magnaporting and I would not recommend that.

Go with a JP like this. I use them all the time.

JP - Compensators - Bennie Cooley Signature Series

A good smith will contour it to your barrel and you will never know it is not part of the tube.

Great recoil reduction adding accuracy and allowing you to spot your own shots. Side discharge so it does not blow crap all over you and fill your scope with dirt when shooting prone. Open design that allows cleaning of the muzzle and crown without removing the brake. Top ports to reduce muzzle jump.

Just realize some of the chamberings you are choosing will have a relatively short barrel life. The RUM will be going south about 700 rounds and groups will be unacceptable by 1000 rounds in most cases. Several of us have been there. Great velocity, but at a price. As much as I shoot I would have to rebarrel about once every 12 to 18 months.

Jeff

Have a gunsmith thread the barrel and install a VIAS brake then you can take it of and have a thread cap and the vias while taking away a good amount of recoil also isn't as loud as some others.

Dragman, we kinda know each other so I have to ask. Why that rude Vias brake? They are the worst brakes I ever crawled behind in my opinion. By the way the 300 win I bought from you was a tac driver well past 1000 yards with 210 Bergers. But I replaced that nasty dirt tossing radial brake.:D

Thanks
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.