wich 30. caliber

You are looking for a rifle to hunt elk and "maybe" Africa Plains game if you get there. You're max range is going to be 800 yds. I'm guessing this isn't going to have a muzzle break as a safari rifle? Have you ever shot a string through one of these?

I am still voting for the 300 Win.
- Much better selection of brass for a better price, esp vs the WBYs
- Less recoil
- Much better selection of ammo, for a much better price, ALL over the world
- More than capable @ 800 yds

If you really want one of the others, get the 300 RUM, put a brake on it and hand load for it. If you go to Africa, get a $499 Wby Vanguard in 300 WBY and a few boxes of ammo.

You are looking for a rifle to hunt elk and "maybe" Africa Plains game if you get there. You're max range is going to be 800 yds. I'm guessing this isn't going to have a muzzle break as a safari rifle? Have you ever shot a string through one of these?

I am still voting for the 300 Win.
- Much better selection of brass for a better price, esp vs the WBYs
- Less recoil
- Much better selection of ammo, for a much better price, ALL over the world
- More than capable @ 800 yds

MontanaRifleman, your points are spot on and more than valid.

But , but, but... it doesn't have the cool factor!! Unless you have laid next to one and watched it drop 19 big game animals out to 1285 yards all in the same season.:rolleyes::D

Jeff

a little nostalgia for an african gun makes me think of the 300 H&H for sure. maybe the improved case would be the way to go. bet you can get ammo there fairly easily for it. bob hagel would be happy to see the norma mag mentioned... :) but i think any 30 from 308 up would work, mags preferred tho

well Im a speed freek I like pushing the biggest pill I can as fast as I can as accurately as I can
and this rifle will not have a brake on it I don't like them there ugly IMO gun)

I have a Winchester model 70 Laredo that was a 300 win mag,and I rebarreled it in 300 Wby,mine has the boss system and I can change loads simply by changing the numbers on the boss.....I also ave the same in 257 Wby for white tails...all above 3500 ft. Range shooting very little because of the prescribed settings of the boss. The new baels are Hart match grade..very accurate. Model 70's are fine rifles especially with the claw-foot extractor.

Although I've never owned a RUM, I agree the .300 RUM is a hard round to beat. The only strong negative would be the risk that you couldn't buy ammunition on an African hunt.

That said, I believe I would jump to a .338 if I was considering anything with the case capacity of the RUM or .30-378. Either the .338 RUM or the .338-.378 Weatherby are phenomenal rounds that do more justice to the case capacity.
Not really a problem. Just follow the necessary regulations to ship a few boxes of ammo over well ahead of time and make sure they are in the outfitter's possession before you leave the US.

Also take the max number of rounds you are allowed to carry with you as per the laws where you are flying to.

That's not just a problem in Africa. That's a problem for every guide and outfitter around the world that takes people out for large/dangerous game.

Guys tend to get cannonitis before their trips and shoot them just enough to be scared to death of the recoil before they leave for the hunt and then can't hit a damned thing when they get there.

Far better to stick with things like the 7mm Mag, 7mm STW, 300wm, 300wby, or 300Rum for most people.

Whatever you take on the trip be sure you have 100% confidence in not only for dependability, but in your ability to hit your POI every time.

wildrose I agree with you 100% if I can't hit what Im aiming at for whatever reason I don't need to be shooting at anything and if it comes down to it that I can't handle the recoil without a break I'll add one planned on putting a deccelarator and one of the mercury or spring recoil reducers in the stock

A lot of good advise here , most of these guys on this site have been all over the world , and hunted almost everything that can be hunted !

Never been to,Africa but I would be sure to take enough gun for the job .
The practice ,practice , practice , practice , practice, did I say practice !

A gun no matter what caliber can miss a barn , if the shooter is not profishint with it

Just saying :cool: good luck in Africa !!

wildrose I agree with you 100% if I can't hit what Im aiming at for whatever reason I don't need to be shooting at anything and if it comes down to it that I can't handle the recoil without a break I'll add one planned on putting a deccelarator and one of the mercury or spring recoil reducers in the stock
Do yourself a big favor and put a good brake on it before you even get started.

Read the last few pages on the "Muzzle Brake on a 300wm" thread and you'll understand why.

Even my 7mm STW's and 300 Rum are sheer pleasure to shoot because they have good muzzle breaks on them.

Out of all the things you can do to help your actual shooting in the field to me the muzzle brake is probably number one since it will allow you to see your impacts at any range with the above choices of calibers. That will make you a better rifleman because you aren't guessing and it will improve your percentages on follow ups dramatically because you can see instantly whether or not you missed and if you did what you need to do to correct instantly allowing you to put your follow up on target in ten seconds or less.

The latter can be extremely critical shooting in any kind of terrain that is not completely flat or if there is any sort of brush or trees that a missed or wounded animal can disappear into.

We have a number of sponsors to this site including Jim See and Kirby who make very nice, very effective muzzle brakes and this one here is my personal favorite. It's not even too rough on the ears if you have to make a quick shot and don't have time or forget to put on your "ears".
Muzzle Brakes

This one came on a 7mm STW I recently purchased and it's the best MB overall I've ever used. I like it well enough that I'm going to put it on five other rifles I own already.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.