wich 30. caliber

I'm a 300 WSM kinda guy, but agree if you're hoping to take this rifle to Africa, the WM is probably the way to go. The WM has got a whole lot better selection of easy to find ammo in case you need it and the others are way more expensive all the way around.

Since you are talking Africa, I eliminate the .300 RUM as finding that ammunition in the bush is not something I would bet a hunt on.

.300 Win ammunition is available everywhere, but the .300 Weatherby has been popular in Africa for half a century, so .300 Weatherby ammo's fairly widely available in Africa. If you want more performance than a .300 Win, the .300 Weatherby gets my vote.

I'm a 300 H & H guy a model 70 made in 1939 smoothest action I have not the most accurate but good enough for 99% of the hunting I do.

I've narrowed it down to the 300 weatherby 300 Rum or 30-378 can y'all give me pros and cons of these calibers thanks for all the suggestions

Shooting cost the winner the - 300RUM! hands down the cheapest of those to shoot.

Power - 30-378 (BUT Unless your building a custom rig that has over a 26" barrel it only slightly edges the RUM IMHO)

Accuracy - I have to give it to the RUM also (not saying the others aren't accurate) the 300 RUM is an easy gun to make shoot and there is so much loading data out there

I think of the 3 the RUM is the easy winner at least for me.

Shooting cost the winner the - 300RUM! hands down the cheapest of those to shoot.

Power - 30-378 (BUT Unless your building a custom rig that has over a 26" barrel it only slightly edges the RUM IMHO)

Accuracy - I have to give it to the RUM also (not saying the others aren't accurate) the 300 RUM is an easy gun to make shoot and there is so much loading data out there

I think of the 3 the RUM is the easy winner at least for me.

Although I've never owned a RUM, I agree the .300 RUM is a hard round to beat. The only strong negative would be the risk that you couldn't buy ammunition on an African hunt.

That said, I believe I would jump to a .338 if I was considering anything with the case capacity of the RUM or .30-378. Either the .338 RUM or the .338-.378 Weatherby are phenomenal rounds that do more justice to the case capacity.

build a RUM and use it and love it. for africa buy a 300wby vanguard cheapy and take it with you incase they loose your ammo for the RUM a $450 back up just in case.

since I intend to use primarily as a hunting rifle after break in I would guess around 200 rounds a year give or take 25 rounds

Ok great, one thing to consider is that all these rifles have freebore. Not saying that is bad just realize this may make a difference depending on what bullet you will choose.

If you do not reload I suggest you look at ammo prices for each. All 3 of these will have some pretty expensive ammo and also limited bullet selection. If you do reload then look at brass prices. The 300 rum will have the lowest price brass most likely if that matters. No available brass for any one of these is that great in my opinion. But if you don't shoot that much it may not matter to you.

jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts