wich 30. caliber

PEEWEE69

ok I have a 222 rem ,270 Win,270 wthrby mag,and a 6.5 creedmoor now I want a 30 cal but wich one the primary use will be a elk and african plains game (if i ever get there :D) range will b no more than 800 any suggestions would b helpful

While I LOVE the RUM and WSM the Africa thing makes me agree on the good ole 300WIN. You really have a lot of great choices with the 30 cal world IMHO

Nothing wrong with the 300Win... are you a run of the mill type of guy or do you want to do something a little off the beaten path?

t

would like to have something different but not so different I gotta make brass was kinda thinking of building a 30-378 wthrby

That will get you more velocity. It will also burn more powder for the gain and have a shorter barrel life. Not to mention higher priced brass that does not have a great life either. And factory ammo prices that will almost rules out target practice for most guys. Don't get me wrong, I like Wby's. But after owning several 30-378's I am very happy to be back with the 300 win.

Jeff

You could be a little different without being to radical and do a 300 Norma

Not a bad idea...but the modern version is a 300 WSM. Same velocities.

The thing that would concern me the most about Africa is the 50/50 chance that your ammo won't arrive at the same time as you. This idea brings up cartridges that you can buy there. 270 win, 300 win mag and most of the British calibers in 358 and 375. There may be some others that I don't know about.

Just something to think about. lightbulb

I would go with a 300 win mag, then when the throat is gone or you want to do something different you can set it back a couple threads and chamber it to a 30/375 S.I. Search the 30/375 S.I.

Not a bad idea...but the modern version is a 300 WSM. Same velocities.

The thing that would concern me the most about Africa is the 50/50 chance that your ammo won't arrive at the same time as you. This idea brings up cartridges that you can buy there. 270 win, 300 win mag and most of the British calibers in 358 and 375. There may be some others that I don't know about.

Just something to think about. lightbulb

Not a 308 Norma, the newer 300 Norma not even close to a WSM.
I like the the 300 win also and used it in RSA. Always take the max amount of ammo and split it in two checked bags one should make it for sure:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts