Why would you not sight in at 100 yards?

Sighting in 1 1/2 - 2 inches high at 100 yards accomplishes pretty much the same thing, but does mean that closer shots will need to be allowed for so there's that; assuming that you don't forget to hold a smidgen lower. Last year I forgot to hold a tad lower, but it didn't matter much.
One reason might be you mounted a crappy scope and know adjusting the turrets as part of your ballistic solution cant be trusted. I think more importantly is to sight in under the same meteorlogical conditions might have a more relevant impact on your actual shot placement. Sighting is during the summer when it might be 95* outside might be a wasted effort if your hunting in 35* weather. What about the differences in altitude and/or humidity? You can go to Hornady.com and plug in your information to see what the impact on these variables might be.
I used the Hornady site and created range cards for both of the rifles I hunt with in 25 yard increments. Used in conjunction with my Sig Saur 2400 Rangefinder, I have great confidence afield.
Happy Trails!

20190509_205934.jpg

Attachments

• 20190509_205934.jpg
    20190509_205934.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:
One reason might be you mounted a crappy scope and know adjusting the turrets as part of your ballistic solution cant be trusted. I think more importantly is to sight in under the same meteorlogical conditions might have a more relevant impact on your actual shot placement. Sighting is during the summer when it might be 95* outside might be a wasted effort if your hunting in 35* weather. What about the differences in altitude and/or humidity? You can go to Hornady.com and plug in your information to see what the impact on these variables might be.
Happy Trails!

Of course that's true whether you sight in 1.5 inches high at 100 yards or on the gnat's ash at 200 or 300. Then again if your destination has really different conditions you sight in when you get there too.

These days I'll check my rifle and ammo before I leave home and call it good.

Last edited:
Of course that's true whether you sight in 1.5 inches high at 100 yards or on the gnat's ash at 200 or 300. Then again if your destination has really different conditions you sight in when you get there too.

These days I'll check my rifle and ammo before I leave home and call it good.
I Always confirm my zero where I'm hunting. Always.

KONUS PRO 550 RETICLE
They have the right idea.
Not bad for a cheap scope.
Cross hairs to be set on 100-yards.
3-9x40mm
https://www.natchezss.com/konuspro-...graved-550-ballistic-reticle-matte-black.html

edc75389c67b63a99d0e9b2a50b5790895bfeae4.jpg

4-16x50mm AO
http://www.opticsagent.com/KONUS-4-16X50-KONUSPRO-550-BALLISTIC-RET_p_494.html
iipsrv.fcgi
Looks like the Varmint Reticle on the Leopold. 2.5 minutes vertical per stadia. With correct/calibrated zoom value (in the instructions) for your cartridge, is dead nuts. 100-600 yards without touching a turret. Would never sell these (2) VX-3's.

I wouldn't die on any hill over zero range choice, using both 100 and 200 yard zeros. I generally like a 200 yard zero with my LRH rifles. For the 5000 ft altitude range , and 75F temperature range I encounter at with my hunting locations, I see no environmental influence on my ballistic settings between 100 and 200 yard zeros. With the higher magnification scopes, I find a 200 yard zero is less sensitive to shooting position/parallax error over a 100 yard zero. I think this may be the reason why so many shooters claim equal group size at 100 and 200 yards. I see this quite often. Once I set a very precise 200 yard zero, I rarely, if ever have to re-tune with my same-lot loads....even with air travel to different locations. Using a 200 yard zero, any errors (ie parallax, etc), are magnified only 5x out to 1000 yards, compared to 10x with a 100 yard zero. A 200 yard zero doesn't inhibit me from dialing down to the 100 yard dope, and doing a more convenient 100 yard zero check in the field.

Lots of good post and examples of the use of different methods.

I am a believer in the saying that close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. so I use the most accurate method I can. If I don't have time to change the turret I make a decision to shoot or not. I have been guilty of making some bad decisions and have regretted them when things didn't go my way.

Each person has their limits on how much is enough to make a good shot and must live with the outcome. I have the luxury of being older and I am no longer mad at the game I am Hunting. So if the shot will be marginal, I just except the fact that It was the animals good fortune and that he will live hunt another day. There is also the times that even though I can make a good shot, I pass just knowing that he was mine and let him walk. Some times I like to take pictures of these easy possible kills and have never regretted the decision.

This is not ethics, It is just how much I will enjoy the hunt with or without a kill to make the hunt. each person has his preferred method
and if it works for him then that's fine, I just like I like to hit that tuft of hair, or The tick that appears in the right spot, or spot that I am aiming at to know that I did my job, and hit what I was aiming at, not just close.

Most of the older guys get to this point at some time and just enjoy the hunt.

J E CUSTOM

Lots of good post and examples of the use of different methods.

I am a believer in the saying that close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. so I use the most accurate method I can. If I don't have time to change the turret I make a decision to shoot or not. I have been guilty of making some bad decisions and have regretted them when things didn't go my way.

Each person has their limits on how much is enough to make a good shot and must live with the outcome. I have the luxury of being older and I am no longer mad at the game I am Hunting. So if the shot will be marginal, I just except the fact that It was the animals good fortune and that he will live hunt another day. There is also the times that even though I can make a good shot, I pass just knowing that he was mine and let him walk. Some times I like to take pictures of these easy possible kills and have never regretted the decision.

This is not ethics, It is just how much I will enjoy the hunt with or without a kill to make the hunt. each person has his preferred method
and if it works for him then that's fine, I just like I like to hit that tuft of hair, or The tick that appears in the right spot, or spot that I am aiming at to know that I did my job, and hit what I was aiming at, not just close.

Most of the older guys get to this point at some time and just enjoy the hunt.

J E CUSTOM
I thoroughly agree with you. I use Shepherd scopes on most of my hunting rifles, and the reticle is calibrated for bullet drop, with ranging circles every 100 yards on the vertical stadium line. I've done extensive experimentation with these scopes to see how accurate the drop figures are on the actual range at 100 to 800 yards, and they are very close to perfect for my rifles. any differences in vertical impact point is generally masked by the dispersion of the 5 to 10 shot groups at distances out to 700 yards, plus, I reload for the reticle and altitude I'll be hunting so that I get as close a match in actual trajectory and the drop trajectory in the scope as I can. This works well enough that I can be in a 5 inch circle or less, depending on the rifle, out to 600 yards on the range near my house which is about 0.8 moa, and the circle centers either on or within two inches of point of aim. That's good enough. The perfect is the enemy of the good(enough).

deer stand 264 high line.JPG

On this deer stand, the high-line is only about 20yds or so wide. Shots can range from 50yds - 650yds and they're usually always walking. By the time you see one they're half way across and you only have time to aim and squeeze. No time for dialing in this situation. Electrical poles are 125yds apart so that's a quick reference.

My last antelope was taken this fall, about 4 months after a left knee replacement. I used my Ruger 30-06 with a 180grain Sierra Prohunter. I held on the antelope with the 300 yard circle on my Shepherd scope, and the bullet impact was exactly to point of aim. There was no guess work. The bullet hit mid-chest just behind the shoulder in a slightly quartering shot and exited the neck in front of the opposite shoulder. I zeroed for the scope, which has bullet drop compensation built into the reticle.

A BDC reticle has its uses. The stronger argument is for the Horus. With those you can have multiple zeros too but much more useful in the real world. It would be my first choice. I wouldn't however assume that every bdc circle is actually 100-200-300-400 etc until I proved each one by shooting. There is another reason I would reach for the Horus before a BDC. IF you hunt the same area all the time then a BDC is great. But take a BDC from SC at sea level out to Colorado and then need to shoot 650 yards at 5000 feet at 22 degrees incline @ 35 degrees Fahrenheit and good luck with the BDC reticle.

View attachment 133583
On this deer stand, the high-line is only about 20yds or so wide. Shots can range from 50yds - 650yds and they're usually always walking. By the time you see one they're half way across and you only have time to aim and squeeze. No time for dialing in this situation. Electrical poles are 125yds apart so that's a quick reference.
I can use my 3rd mil-dot below center for my longest shot on that high-line stand. It's quick and accurate. No guessing. My trigger is set at 2.2 lbs.

A BDC reticle has its uses. The stronger argument is for the Horus. With those you can have multiple zeros too but much more useful in the real world. It would be my first choice. I wouldn't however assume that every bdc circle is actually 100-200-300-400 etc until I proved each one by shooting. There is another reason I would reach for the Horus before a BDC. IF you hunt the same area all the time then a BDC is great. But take a BDC from SC at sea level out to Colorado and then need to shoot 650 yards at 5000 feet at 22 degrees incline @ 35 degrees Fahrenheit and good luck with the BDC reticle.
Actually, I have done that using the Shepherd reticle. I regularly hunt at altitudes of 8000 to 11000 feet, in mountain country with all my weapons, and I use both the ranging points and the minute-of-angle ranging marks on the sidebar of the reticle. I've shot and hit at angles of 30 degrees up and down hill at distances of 600 or more on several occasions. I even practice shots like this when I have the chance. For instance, a 580 yard shot with my 30-06 at about 30 degrees means I hold for about 530 yards, which is between 1/4 and 1/3 of the distance between the 500 yard center circle and the 600 yard center circle. The bullet impacts within 2 inches of my point of aim, well within disbursal for a three shot group at that range. Since I'm not looking at an animal and rocks are of various sizes, I use a rangefinder to determine range to the rock.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.