Why we use a scope level

I made my own for flatbottomed actions. Held in place with rubber band.

Attachments

• Scope alignment tool 002.JPG
    Scope alignment tool 002.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 104
Excellent video!

Ultimately you could use this same method to mount your scope too as long as you ensure the rail is level, correct?
Not only can you do that, but you can use a verified vertical line to ensure your scope tracks correctly when you dial in elevation. I had a scope many years ago that I found to have a tracking error. Kept missing and found it didn't track accurately. 😕 Sent it back to manufacturer (Vortex) and they sent me a replacement.

Some really nice bubble levels are designed to mount on the pic rail or are built into the ring cap. Any reason to select a level that mounts to the scope tube rather than one of the others?

Some really nice bubble levels are designed to mount on the pic rail or are built into the ring cap. Any reason to select a level that mounts to the scope tube rather than one of the others?
Mostly personal preference. As long as you are sure the levels are plumb, it works. I like the scope mounted bubbles better. I can see them a bit better because they tend to be a bit larger in size and I mount them a little farther down the scope so i can focus on it easier (old eyes). The rail mounted ones are difficult to view clearly (to me) because of there positioning. It up to you. Whatever you choose, they work. All my rifles have one.