Why the mad dash on reloading supplies?

You would have thought we would have learned our lesson over the primer shortages the shooters caused a few years ago, I often wonder if the shooting industry doesn't welcome these little shelf clearing and cleaning out old stock from time to time. WHY do we fall for this ploy every time, we are the ones causing it with our hoarding. What's that ole' quote from Barnum and Bailey, something about suckers!!

I have been hearing from the store owners things are expected to calm down and supplies should start building around June/July of this year.

...but I did read this morning that Hillary is the current favorite for 2016.

You would have thought we would have learned our lesson over the primer shortages the shooters caused a few years ago, I often wonder if the shooting industry doesn't welcome these little shelf clearing and cleaning out old stock from time to time. WHY do we fall for this ploy every time, we are the ones causing it with our hoarding. What's that ole' quote from Barnum and Bailey, something about suckers!!

I don't call it hoarding to have a year or two in reserves in my basement. I call it the ability to shoot if the ammo market hiccups like it has at present. I call it the ability to eat if I've lost my job in the pathetic economy we have. I call it being a have who doesn't need to run around like an idiot trying to find something on the shelf that hasn't been cleared out. I believe it is as important to be able to feed your guns as it is to be able to own said guns. Firearms are simply expensive paperweights if you can't fire them.
You are at least somewhat correct about us causing this problem, at least when it comes to the tightwads who won't drop a dime unless they think they won't be able to get some later. Get your stuff when they are trying to unload it and not when they can't make enough. It reminds me of the fools who buy stocks on a bull market run and then foolishly sell when the market folds.

btw, a little loud with the large font and bold type my friend...:)

Somewhat caused by us, but you need to buy what you can.. the AR owners don't usually just by a couple boxes, they buy a couple cases a t least.. Its like cars, the more there are, the more you gotta feed 'em. Price goes up,, in retrospect, even if Obama's bill don't pass, the cost of supplies will keep going up, he may have put a crux on us indirectly by making ammo so expensive, and that's just base price, then you talk about taxing.?! ouch! I dont see an end to it, its like milk, bread, $2, $3, $4, $5 a gallon, etc. Getting strange outside!.. for sure.

I bought a box of 25 pieces of .375 Weatherby brass by Norma for just less than $40 online. I tried to get 3 boxes but they notified me that they only had one and they ammended my order. I checked back and indeed now it says out of stock and expected date yada yada. I have been checking back several times a day for about 3 weeks. The price jumped today to over $85 and it is still out of stock!
Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

I have been hearing from the store owners things are expected to calm down and supplies should start building around June/July of this year.

...but I did read this morning that Hillary is the current favorite for 2016.

I can understand that. She's brainless....:) an d he old man is Al Gore with curly hair... what could be more fitting for a Socialst government....

She's a shoe in....

i'm just ordereing on backorder to keep inventory on the shelf. When it shows up, thats fine.

I'm not short of anything really and as far as price goes, you gotta pay to play, thats life. Expect steel price increases, as a business owner, I would do the same.

But then I don't go out and shoot off ammunition to listen to the bang (probably why I don't own an AR in the first place). I shoot when I hunt and thats usually a couple rounds max.

If I want to bang alot, I shoot something affordable...22 rimfire.

Back in the day, I used to touch off lots of rounds but in the las\t few years, not that many and probably even less in the future. Problem is, m y relaoding didn't slow down until after I quit igniting soo many rounds so I have a PILE of reloads in of all ppoular calibers, especially those that are so hard to get right now....

It only takes one round to kill one animal if the shot placement is correct, not a case, not a box, just ONE.

Well someone bought the rest of the Retumbo at my local honey hole, but I did walk out with 1000 GM215M primers today. They just cracked open a new case to give me my box of 1000 at $37.98 + tax. So if anyone is near Lexington they have primers, Federal and CCI, and some powder. I know for sure they have H1000 and some other Hodgdon that I don't use. They have quite a bit of Norma MRP on the shelf as well.

I can understand that. She's brainless....:) an d he old man is Al Gore with curly hair... what could be more fitting for a Socialst government....

She's a shoe in....

+1 ! Put em both in a sack shake it real good reach in and pull one out and you pretty much will pull out the same thing . Other than Hillary is an American ?? God help us ....... We sure dont need a skirt tail as commander !!!

I gotta think that there's lots of people out there with an AR that has no ammo, or very very little stock. I read an article online about how many background checks there were and they spiked obviously around 470,000 but incredibly that wasn't much more than last year. The time frame of those last couple hundred K had to of been the last month. (!!?)

When I was a kid, my dad got me started and he said get any rifle you want (almost), and I opted for a semi-auto something or other, and he got a bolt action.. he was hittin campbel's soup cans at 200 regular, I could barely hit a paper target at 100, those were 22's. It was a lesson well learned, I had a period I did not shoot for a long time, but recently got back into it, and started out with a bolt action savage. I couldn't have been happier with it.. One and done is good for me. (22 is a good alt for plinking and smaaaaart if you like shooting a lot, I had one but sold it, shame on me!)
There is a fad going on for sure and I have nothing against it, they are some great rifles (AR's) out there that are so versatile and straight shooting, you just can't overlook them. Its sort of the rebirth of the M16..
What's next? Population explosion, rampid oil consumption and food shortages, energy crisis and economies, it's a different world.. you have to think in world terms now-days, american businesses are still #1 I believe, we just need to stop in-fighting…

I am pretty certain there will be zero impact to reloading supplies if some sort of ban passes. They are going after assault weapons not supplies. People hear ban and just go crazy on everything even items not even listed in pending legislation.

Midway nor anyone can now ship, ammo, bullets, primers, powder or brass (any component of a cartridge) to New York because of the laws they just passed. I saw this on another forum 2 days ago, some guys had orderd bullets to reload with from Midway and when they went to check out a banner came up and informed them they could no longer ship any componet or ammo to New York,
Some got the same thing from Sinclair and Cabelas. This will no doubt happen in some other crazed states that think like New York. I feel sorry for the rest of New York state because New York city rules the state.

lightbulbIF~N NY could fall in the ocean the same day Calafornicator is going in the drink we would be fair & balanced! Bastages going to get what they deserve now from the illegals....both kind!:D

I have a friend who was thinking about sending a rifle to Hart for a new barrel and he is now looking elsewhere because of this. Personally, I think he is wrong but it is a very sentimental rifle and he is scared of the situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.